Naval Facility Cape Hatteras
January 1956 - June 1982
Naval Facility Cape Hatteras was commissioned 11 January 1956. It was located near Buxton, North Carolina, adjacent to the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. The island is a sandy spit, separated from the mainland by Pamlico Sound, known for its frequent and severe storms. The Diamond Shoals surrounding the island claimed more than 600 ships over the years, resulting in Hatteras being called the “graveyard of ships.” Although considered relatively isolated, personnel enjoyed movies, bowling, surf and pier fishing, fresh water fishing and hunting. NAVFAC Cape Hatteras operated for over twenty-six years and was decommissioned 30 June 1982.