Naval Facility Bermuda
June 1955 - September 1992
Naval Facility Bermuda was commissioned 1 June 1955, making it the oldest continuously operating U. S. command at the time of its decommissioning in 1992. The Naval Facility was located on the west end of Bermuda in South Hampton Parish, adjacent to the island’s very scenic south shore. Naval Facility Bermuda experienced numerous composition and equipment upgrades during its long operational tenure. In September 1987, NAVFAC Bermuda weathered Hurricane Emily with no loss of operational capability. Naval Facility Bermuda’s fifteen officers, 155 enlisted personnel, 2 foreign national civilians and one resident contractor served with pride and distinction until NAVFAC Bermuda’s decommissioning on 30 September 1992, after thirty-seven years of continuous operations.