April 1955 - August 1994
CFS Shelburne was originally commissioned as HMCS Shelburne, a fleet establishment of the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) on 1 April 1955. Located near the town of the same name (named after a British statesman), it was the oldest and smallest Naval Facility in OCEANSYLANT. The first Commanding Officer of Shelburne was also appointed Officer-in-Charge of the joint RCN/USN Oceanographic Research Station, as Shelburne was manned by officers, men, and women of both the RCN and USN. Over the years, many changes took place at Shelburne including the replacement of the original Quonset Huts and WWII harbor defense emplacement with modern facilities. With the integration of the RCN into the Canadian Forces (CF) in 1968, the stations name was changed to CFS Shelburne. Throughout the years and changes endured, CFS Shelburne continued to proudly carry out its firm commitment to IUSS until it was decommissioning on 1 August 1994.