ABOUT SSC PACIFIC
Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific (SSC Pacific) provides the U.S. Navy and military with essential capabilities in the areas of command and control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (C4ISR), cyber, and space.
A recognized leader in the cyber domain and cyberspace, and for autonomous unmanned systems, SSC Pacific is providing the technological and engineering support critical to naval information warfare.
While most of our work addresses the Navy’s requirements, we actively support Marine Corps, Air Force, Army and Coast Guard programs. Other government agencies, such as the Department of Homeland Security, frequently call on our C4ISR expertise.
Systems development and support includes basic research and prototype development through systems engineering and integration to life cycle support of fielded systems.
Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific (SSC Pacific) is located in San Diego, California,
with detachments in Hawaii, Guam and Japan.
The Center's Workforce
- SSC Pacific employs a highly educated, diverse, multidisciplinary workforce of more than 4,700 scientists, researchers, engineers, technicians, technical specialists and more, who hold 194 Ph.D./J.D. degrees, and 1,356 master's degrees.
- The lab, located in San Diego, California, is ranked as a top generator of patents and license agreements (155 patent disclosures, 100 patent applications filed, and 50 patents issued in fiscal year 2017).
- SSC Pacific's workforce also includes the largest number of active-duty military personnel stationed at any naval laboratory or warfare center. This unique arrangement combines the fleet and operational expertise of the warfighter with the skills of the Center's research staff to tackle real-world problems facing the U.S. today and in the future.
Current research and development efforts
Cryogenic Exploitation of Radio Frequency laboratory (CERF): Equipped to test independent research aimed at the development of next-generation radio frequency sensors and devices that will operate over a broad range of temperatures and function across the full RF spectrums of interest.
Aegis Ashore: This land-based capability of the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system provides increased capability for countering ballistic missile threats. SSC Pacific is designated as the lead test and evaluation agent for the C4I component of the Aegis Ashore weapon system.
Battlespace Exploitation of Mixed Reality laboratory (BEMR): Team members manipulate cutting-edge, low-cost commercial off-the-shelf, mixed reality technology (virtual and augmented).
Ballistic Missile Defense test bed (left). Virtual and augmented reality in the BEMR lab (right).
- Joint Space Operations Center Mission System program: (JMS) provides space situation awareness and command and control operations.
- Distributed Common Ground System-Navy engineering and integration effort (DCGS-N Increment 2): Will provide robust, integrated ISR capability that makes maximum use of commercial off-the-shelf and mature non-developmental items or government software.
- Maritime Tactical Command and Control (MTC2): Will provide a single, interoperable, integrated, scalable command and control system that fuses, correlates, filters, and displays location and attribute information on friendly, hostile, and neutral land, sea, and air forces.
- Consolidated Afl Networks and Enterprise Services (CANES): Represents a key aspect of the Navy's modernization planning by upgrading cybersecurity, command and control, communications and intelligence systems afl The enhanced degree of standardization will reduce the number of network variants by ship class across the fleet.
- Mobile User Objective System (MUOS): Provides improved and secure communications for mobile warfighters, including simultaneous voice, video, and data.
In San Diego we are close to many of America’s top defense contractors, global leaders in digital communications and computing, world-class educational institutions and major Navy and Department of Defense commands. We actively partner with industry, academia and other government and non-government entities.
Downtown San Diego skyline
We offer unique laboratory settings, test beds and simulated operational environments that are unachievable elsewhere. Our facilities allow us to create large-scale virtual integrated systems to support architecture development, systems engineering, acquisition, training and fleet operations.