• An outgrowth of the Lincoln Experimental Satellite series and TACSAT-1 , FLTSAT was developed by the Navy to be the first complete operational system in space to serve the tactical user.
• Two FLTSATs remain on orbit
– FSC-7 (23.5 years) and FSC-8 (20.8 years)
• Original five-year design life but the satellite bus on both are healthy and have sufficient fuel reserves
• 30 – 25kHz channels, 5 – 5kHz channels
– Provides critical augmentation to the UFO system
• Both FLTSATs are equipped with a FLTSAT Extremely High Frequency Package
– Served as an in-orbit resource for conducting thorough and realistic test and evaluation of the MILSTAR EHF communications system. FEP was turned off in 2007