Skip to main content
Inspector General

Inspector General

Orders to NSW
NSW > Inspector General > Pages > Hotline  

Hotline Complaint

Before You File a Complaint

Before you begin:  Before filing a complaint with the Naval Special Warfare Command Inspector General, please review the four categories below to ensure the hotline is the appropriate process to resolve your issue:

  1. If you have already filed a complaint with another office/agency concerning your issue and the investigation is ongoing, continue to pursue your complaint with that office until the investigation is completed.  We will not initiate an investigation into a complaint that is already being addressed using another process.
  2. If you have already contacted a member of Congress concerning an issue, please continue to pursue resolution of your complaint with your congressman as we cannot duplicate the process you have already initiated by contacting a member of Congress.
  3. If you need assistance with correcting your official military personnel record and you are no longer on active duty, the appropriate agency to address your request is the Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR).
  4. If you are requesting assistance with dependent/former dependent financial support, please read the information on this website's Questions & Answers page regarding dependent support.

If none of the above apply to you, review the following 4-Step Hotline Complaint Procedure to determine if you should file a complaint:  

Step 1:  Determine the Best Method to Address Your Complaint:

1. Chain of command

We encourage complainants to first attempt to resolve their issue using the chain of command.  We also refer complainants to other processes established by the Department of the Defense or the Department of the Navy to resolve issues.

First, contact your chain of command to solve the problem.  Start at the lowest possible level and use command channels before elevating them to the next higher level.

Discuss your problem with members in your chain of command such as the legal staff, union representative, chaplain, human resource personnel, equal opportunity advisor, your immediate supervisor, and commanding officer.  Our experience has shown, with few exceptions, that commands are responsive to complainant's issues.

Military members may want to bring the issue to the attention of: 

  • His/Her immediate or second level supervisor
  • Department Head
  • Commanding Officer (Request for MAST)

Civilian personnel may want to bring the issue to the attention of:

  • His/Her immediate or 2nd level supervisor
  • Commanding Officer
  • Local Human Resource Office
  • Human Resource Service Center, etc.

 2. Formal Grievance

If you are unable to resolve the matter using the chain of command, you may consider filing a formal grievance.  These grievance procedures differ depending on your employment status.

Military members may consider filing one of the following grievances:

  • Complaint of Wrongs Against the commanding officer (Article 138), 
  • Complaint of Wrongs Against a Superior Outside your chain of command  (Article 1150) 
  • Equal Opportunity (EO) complaint, if you think you have been sexually harassed or discriminated against

Military members who feel they have been reprised against by a superior in their chain of command, may file a Military Whistleblower complaint with DoD IG or the Naval Inspector General.

 Navy Federal civilian employees may file grievances with the:

  • Your Human Resource Office or Human Resource Service Center 
  • Merit Systems Protection Board 
  • Administrative Grievance Procedure 
  • Alternative Dispute Resolution 
  • Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) complaint, if you think you have been sexually harassed or discriminated against

Navy Federal civilian employees who feel they have been reprised against by a superior in their chain of command, may file a complaint with the Office of Special Counsel.


Step 2:  Review the NSW IG Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS) so that you will know what to expect when you file a hotline complaint.


Step 3:  Prepare your Hotline Complaint


Step 4:  Contact the NSW Inspector General

NSWC Brochure Tri-Fold

 How to Resolve a Complaint (A-Z)

Consent Form