Commissioned on April 1st 1944, the 25th Naval Construction Regiment (NCR) was instrumental in Operation Overlord, the invasion of Normandy on June 6th, 1945. Beginning with its first Seabees ashore, Rhino Ferry #10 of the 111th Naval Construction Battalion (NCB), at 1230 hours, the 25th NCR maintained a presence on Omaha and Utah Beaches until the last trucks of the 69th NCB returned to England. Before deactivating on November 30th, 1945, the 25th NCR had been responsible for the ferrying and off-loading more than 422,000 tons of bulk cargo and 94,000 vehicles; and housing and other facilities for more than 16,000 personnel along the coast of France.
On July 18, 2006, the Chief of Naval Operations approved the re-establishment of the 25th NCR. On September 14, 2007, the "Overlord" Regiment was formally commissioned in Gulfport, Mississippi.
The current seal of the 25th Naval Construction Regiment (NCR) is based on the unit’s World War II logo designed by Lieutenant Commander Palmer W. Roberts, Executive Officer of the 25th NCR during the invasion at Normandy. Its basic form is a Shield of Heraldry. The Crown, of French characteristics, rests on the shield and has four Coronet Balls, representing the four units directed by the Regiment at the time of its re-establishment. Sea Horses, the unit’s mascot as it was during World War II, frame the shield and denote its participation in amphibious operations during the invasion of Normandy. The Sea Horses are each holding a wrench and hammer with their tails, respectively, ever ready to demonstrate their construction prowess. The Seabee, ringed with howser rope, identify the unit as one of the Naval Construction Force. The three battle stars denote engagement with the enemy at Omaha and Utah Beaches; Cherbourg; and Le Harve.