Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act & Veterans Employment Initiative (VEI)
The VOW Act, signed by President Obama as part of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2011, includes the White House's VEI to reduce veteran unemployment. The VOW Act mandates Transition Assistance Program (TAP) class for all separating personnel including Reserve Component (RC) personnel who have served 180 days or more on Title 10 Active Duty (MOB, ADSW & ADT).
DTM 12-007 - "Implementation of Mandatory TAP Participation for Eligible Service Members" establishes the policy, assigns responsibilities, and prescribes procedures by which the Military Departments administer the mandatory TAP.
OPNAV N13 Endorsement of DTM 12-007 for RC exemptions for VOW Act & VEI
RC-Specific Information: Effective with the 26 Nov 2012 NMPS class and in accordance with the VOW Act, demobilizing Reservists are required to attend a 5-day Transition Assistance Program (TAP) class during their out-processing, unless a waiver (exemption) has been granted. To be waived (exempt) from TAP, you must meet one of the following: a) confirmed employment or enrollment in an accredited technical training, undergraduate or graduate degree program or b) confirmed previously attended TAP class. If not waived (exempt) from TAP, NMPS becomes a 2-week I-STOP with Week One: demobilization process and Week Two: TAP class. See the Waivers and Options snapshot for additional guidance. Complete the VOW/VEI Redeployer Questionnaire below.
Sailors will be contacted within 90 days of their redeployment date to coordinate whether waiver (exemption) requirements have been met for the TAP portion. For questions, contact USFF Staff Support.
- VOW/VEI Redeployer Questionnaire - to support VOW Act requirements stated above, Reservists are required to complete the VOW/VEI Redeployer Questionnaire 90 days prior to redeployment. Your demobilization schedule is affected by your answers in the questionaire. By completing this in the timeframe stated, your specfic demobilization schedule will be known prior to redeployment.
VOW Act & VEI Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A number of questions have been asked related to the VOW Act & VEI, the impact to the Sailor with and without waivers (exemptions), TAP, and scheduling at NMPS. To answer some of these questions, we have created an FAQ list. This list will be updated as required.
Individual Transition Plan (ITP) Forms
Required ITP Forms:
- DD Form 2958: Checklist for Service Member's ITP
- ITP Block 1: Personal (req'd by all and needs to be initiated prior to arrival at NMPS)
- ITP Block 2: Employment (req'd only for those seeking employment opportunities)
- ITP Block 3: Education (req'd only for those seeking educational opportunities)
Optional ITP Forms:
Navy Personnel Command Transition Assistance Program
Provides additional and similar information for Transition GPS supporting the VOW Act and VEI requirements.
Commander Naval Installations Command Transition GPS Site
Provides additional and similar information for Navy's Model to accomplish the VOW Act and meet VEI requirements.