Information About Us
With a force of approximately to 760 Personnel including (450 Military, 184 Civilians, and 126 contractors) NCTAMS PAC’s mission is to:
- Provide vital Command, Control, Communications, Computer, and Intelligence (C4I) Warfighting services for afloat/ashore Naval, Joint, Agency, and Coalition Forces in the Pacific and Indian Ocean areas of operation.
- Operate, maintain, secure, and defend the Navy’s portion of the Department of Defense Information Network (DoDIN) in the Pacific Area of Responsibility supporting Fleet operations.
- Direct the daily operations of three subordinate Commands, two Detachments, and 16 Activities, across 17 time zones including Naval Computer And Telecommunication Station (NCTS) Guam, NCTS Far East and NCTS San Diego, NCTAMS PAC Detachments in Puget Sound, WA and Kojarena, Australia, and 16 additional subordinate activities in the Pacific area of responsibility.
History of NCTAMS PAC
At the close of the 19th century, King Kalakaua of the Hawaiian Islands gave the United States government the exclusive rights to enter and develop Pearl Harbor. In May 1888, the United States established a coaling station at the harbor to service the vessels of the Pacific Fleet.
Early in 1906, Congress approved plans to build a Naval Radio Station in the Pearl Harbor area. On March 3, 1915, Congress passed an appropriations act that authorized $400,000 for the construction of a high-powered radio station on Hospital Point.
In 1936, a new site that supported seven steel towers went into operation at Lualualei, and by 1941, there were a total of 12 transmitters controlled from Wailupe via Army landlines. However, on the morning of December 7, 1941, the radio station proved highly vulnerable to attack as several squadrons of raiding Japanese aircraft strafed and bombed the transmitters. As a result, all radio equipment at Wailupe was moved to the facility under construction on 697 acres to become known as the Naval Radio Station, Wahiawa.
In 1959, Hawaii became the 50th state of the United States of America. In the sixties and seventies, communication stations on Oahu underwent several consolidations, activations, disestablishments, and technological advances consolidating many stations into NAVCOMSTA Honolulu, providing service for Camp Smith, Makalapa, Pearl Harbor, Barbers Point, and Moanalua. Because of increased responsibilities, the station was upgraded to the status of a major Shore Command.
The Command was renamed on October 20, 1997. The new name, Naval Computer and Telecommunications Area Master Station, Pacific, (NCTAMS PAC) better reflected the regional operating area of the Command.
Today, NCTAMS PAC is the center of communications for the U.S. Navy in the Pacific providing C4I connectivity to Naval and Joint forces from San Diego and Puget Sound to Singapore and beyond. NCTAMS PAC is the largest Naval Communications station in the world and is known as the “Pacific Voice of Command.”