While you are in a nonpay status:
- You cannot contribute to TSP.
- You will not receive agency automatic (1%) contributions.
- You cannot take a TSP loan. If you already have a TSP loan, you may make direct loan payments or suspend your loan payments for up to 1 year of nonpay status. Loan payments cannot be suspended due to nonpay status for more than a year unless you are on active military duty.
- You can make interfund transfers among the TSP investment funds.
- You can request an in-service withdrawal (financial hardship or age-based) from your account.
When you return to duty from a nonpay status to a position covered by the Civil Service Retirement System or the Federal Employees Retirement System, you can make a current TSP election at any time.