*** New Website Look and Content changes coming March 28th ***

Skip navigation links
CHR Home
Training & Development
Executive Management
HR Offices
Programs & Services
Skip navigation links
Contact Information
New Employees
Insurance Programs
Thrift Savings Plan
YouTube Informational Videos
TSP Monthly Returns
Tax Treatment of TSP Contributions
New Employees
Changing or Stopping Employee Contributions
TSP Account After Retirement
TSP Account After Separation
Nonpay Status
Active Military Duty
Accessing Money in Your TSP Account While Employed
Survivor Benefits
Court Orders
Designation of Beneficiary
Report Employee Death
Resource Library
Work Schedule & Leave
Workers' Compensation


While you are in a nonpay status to perform active military duty:

  • You cannot contribute to TSP or receive agency contributions to your civilian account, but you may be eligible to participate in TSP as a member of the uniformed services. If you elect to contribute to both your civilian and uniformed services TSP accounts during the same calendar year, your total contributions to both accounts cannot exceed the Internal Revenue Service annual elective deferral limit.

  • You cannot take a TSP loan. If you already have a TSP loan, you may make direct loan payments or suspend your loan payments. You can extend the timeframe for repaying your loan by the period of your military service.

  • You can make interfund transfers among the TSP investment funds.

  • You can request an in-service withdrawal (financial hardship or age-based) from your account.

When you return from active military duty to a position covered by the Civil Service Retirement System or the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS):

  • You can make a current TSP election at any time.

  • You can elect to make up missed civilian TSP contributions. The amount of the missed civilian contributions you can make up will be offset by the amount of uniformed services contributions you made. You are not entitled to lost earnings on your makeup employee contributions.

  • If you are covered by FERS and you elect to make up civilian employee contributions, you will receive agency matching contributions. If you made uniformed services contributions, you are entitled to agency matching contributions to your civilian TSP account based on the amount of contributions to your uniformed services account. You will receive makeup agency automatic (1%) contributions for the entire period missed as a result of active military duty whether or not you make up employee contributions. You are entitled to lost earnings on your makeup agency contributions.

  • If you forfeited your agency automatic (1%) contributions and associated earnings when you separated from civilian service because you did not meet the TSP vesting requirements, you are entitled to have these funds restored to your account after you are reemployed.

  • If you separated and your TSP account was disbursed as an automatic cash-out, after you are reemployed you may return to TSP an amount equal to the full amount of the payment.


  1. As soon as you know you will be entering active military service, contact the Benefits Line for counseling. This is especially important if you have a TSP loan.
  2. As soon as you return to a pay and duty status, contact the the Benefits Line for counseling. This is especially important if you have a TSP loan.
  3. If you want to make up employee contributions, you must make your election within 60 days after you return to a civilian position.
Emergency Preparedness
Key Strategic Documents
Website Accessibility/Section 508
Privacy Notice Terms of Use Contact Us
614 Sicard Street SE, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20374-5072
This is an official U.S. Navy website
No FEAR Act Navy IG