*** New Website Look and Content changes coming March 28th ***

Skip navigation links
CHR Home
Training & Development
Executive Management
HR Offices
Programs & Services
Skip navigation links
Retirement Readiness NOW
Employee Deductions
Crediting Civilian Service Not Subject to Retirement Deductions
Crediting Civilian Service For Which You Received a Refund of Retirement Deductions
Crediting Active Military Service
Nonpay Status
Voluntary Retirement
MRA +10 Retirement
Postponed Retirement
Early Voluntary Retirement
Discontinued Service Retirement
Special Retirement for Law Enforcement Officers and Firefighters
Special Retirement for Air Traffic Controllers
Disability Retirement
Deferred Retirement
Separating Employees Who Are Not Eligible For Immediate Annuity
Survivor Benefits
Court Orders
Re-employed Annuitants
Non-appropriated Fund Service
Request an Annuity Computation
Phased Retirement


If you become disabled during your Federal career, you may be entitled to a disability annuity under FERS. If you apply for disability retirement:

  • You must have completed at least 18 months of creditable Federal civilian service.
  • You must, while employed in a position subject to FERS, have become disabled, because of disease or injury, for useful and efficient service in your current position. Useful and efficient service means fully successful performance of the critical or essential elements of the position, or the ability to perform at that level, and satisfactory conduct and attendance.
  • The disability must be expected to last at least 1 year.
  • Your agency must certify that it is unable to accommodate your disabling medical condition in your present position and that it has considered you for any vacant position in the same agency, at the same grade or pay level, and within the same commuting area, for which you are qualified for reassignment.
  • You can apply while you are employed or after you are separated. If you apply after you are separated, your application must be received by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) within 1 year of your separation. This time limit can be waived only in instances involving incompetency.
  • Your disability retirement application must be approved by OPM.


  1. Read Information About Disability Retirement and Information for Prospective FERS Retirees.
  2. Request an estimate of your retirement annuity if you have not previously received one. If you are younger than age 62 at retirement and ineligible for voluntary retirement, your retirement annuity is:
    • 60 percent of your high-3 average salary minus 100 percent of Social Security benefits, during the first 12 months.
    • 40 percent of your high-3 average salary minus 60 percent of Social Security benefits, after the first 12 months.

    At age 62, your disability annuity is recomputed to an amount that represents the annuity you would have received if you had continued working until the day before your 62nd birthday and then retired under FERS nondisability provisions.

    If you are age 62 or older at retirement and meet the age and service requirements for regular, unreduced immediate retirement, your earned annuity is based on the FERS general formula.
  3. Complete the SF 3107, Application for Immediate Retirement Under FERS.
  4. Complete the SF 3112, Documentation in Support of Disability Retirement Application.
  5. Complete Social Security Eligibility Statement.
  6. If you are waiving retired military pay to receive credit for military service under FERS, complete the Waiver of Retired Military Pay and send it to the military component 60–90 days before your retirement date.

    If you have made a deposit, you should attach the receipt that shows your deposit has been paid in full. The receipt can be a copy of a Leave and Earnings Statement or payroll letter showing that the deposit has been paid.

    If you have not made a deposit for your post-1956 military service, you still have the opportunity to do so, but it must be paid in full to your payroll office prior to your retirement.

    If you are retired from active military duty, made a deposit for your military service, and have decided that you will not combine your military and civilian service for consideration toward retirement, you must apply for a refund of your military deposit by completing an SF 3106, Application for Refund of Retirement Deductions.
  7. If you are enrolled in the Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) program and meet the 5-year requirement for continuing coverage after retirement, complete the SF 2818, Continuation of Life Insurance Coverage as an Annuitant or Compensationer. If you are not enrolled in Option A, B, or C, check the "I do not have” block. The FEGLI Calculator helps you determine the current value and cost of your life insurance and how it will change after you retire. The premiums shown on the SF 2818 have not been updated by OPM. Correct premiums are available on the OPM Web site.

    If you do not meet the 5-year requirement to continue your life insurance, your retirement specialist will provide information about converting to a private policy.
  8. If you are enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program, your coverage automatically continues if you meet the 5-year requirement; no additional action is required. If you do not meet the 5-year requirement, your retirement specialist will provide information about electing Temporary Continuation of Coverage.

    If you want to make a Benefits Open Season election and will retire before the effective date (the first day of the first pay period in January), you cannot make your election using the Employee Benefits Information System. You must complete an SF 2809, Health Benefits Election form between Monday of the second full work week in November and the Monday of the second full work week in December and send it to your retirement specialist.
  9. If you are enrolled in the Federal Dental and Vision Insurance Program, your coverage will automatically continue. It may take a few annuity cycles before dental and/or vision premiums are withheld. After the first successful deduction from your annuity, BENEFEDS will adjust your deduction to catch up for the payments that were missed during the transition. You will receive a letter from BENEFEDS informing you of the amount of the adjusted deduction.
  10. If you are currently enrolled in the Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS), your eligibility automatically terminates when you retire. You should contact an FSAFEDS benefits counselor for information about your account.
  11. If you are enrolled in the Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program, you must contact Long Term Care Partners to notify them that you are retiring so they can coordinate with OPM to set up deductions from your annuity.
  12. If you participate in the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), no action is required if you want to leave your money in TSP. If you want to withdraw your money from TSP, you should wait 30 days from the effective date of your retirement before submitting your request. Additional information is available on the TSP Web site. The TSP can assist you with your questions about your withdrawal options.
  13. Your retirement annuity payments will be directly deposited to the same financial institution that currently receives your salary deposits. If you want to make a change, complete an SF 1199A, Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form and attach it to your retirement application, or make the change after you retire using Retirement Services Online.
  14. Federal tax will be withheld from your retirement annuity in the amount currently withheld from your salary. If you want to change the amount of Federal tax withheld, complete a W4-P, Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments and attach it to your retirement application, or make the change after you retire using Retirement Services Online. You can calculate how much Federal income tax should be withheld from your retirement annuity by using the Federal Tax Withholding Calculator.

    Part of the retirement annuity you receive is a tax-free recovery of your contributions to FERS; the remainder of your annuity is taxable. You can figure the tax-free portion using the OPM calculator. Information about taxation of your annuity is explained in IRS Publication 721, Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Benefits.
  15. State tax is not automatically withheld from your annuity. OPM has agreements with some States to allow the withholding of State income tax, but you must specify the dollar amount ($5 or more) you want withheld. After your retirement has been finalized, you can use Retirement Services Online to start, change, or stop the State tax withholdings. If your State does not participate, you should contact your State tax office for information or assistance.
  16. Review your designation of beneficiary for FEGLI, FERS, and TSP and update as necessary.
  17. Ensure all retirement application forms are signed and dated.
  18. Make a copy of all forms for your records.
  19. Mail the original retirement application to the Civilian Benefits Center. Since original signatures are required, faxed or e-mailed forms are not accepted.
  20. Your retirement specialist will review your retirement application, contact you concerning agency accommodation, and send you a CBC 12830-73, Employee Statement Regarding Accommodation to complete.
  21. Once preliminary pay information is received from the payroll office, the application will be mailed to OPM.
  22. OPM will review the application to determine if the documentation meets the eligibility criteria for disability retirement. You should allow 2–6 months for OPM to review your application.
  23. If OPM disapproves your application, you will receive a written notice outlining the reconsideration procedures.
  24. If OPM approves your application, you can apply to use any sick leave that you have. If you do not have any sick leave, you will be separated from Federal service not later than the end of the pay period in which OPM’s approval of your application is received by the Civilian Benefits Center. The Civilian Benefits Center will create the electronic Request for Personnel Action (SF 52) in the Defense Civilian Personnel Data System to process your retirement. No action is required by your activity.
  25. Your retirement specialist will provide information to OPM regarding your last day of pay so your retirement annuity can begin. You must provide information from the Social Security Administration about whether you are receiving Social Security benefits before OPM can finalize your annuity payments.
Emergency Preparedness
Key Strategic Documents
Website Accessibility/Section 508
Privacy Notice Terms of Use Contact Us
614 Sicard Street SE, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20374-5072
This is an official U.S. Navy website
No FEAR Act Navy IG