If you separate from Federal service or transfer to a position that is not covered by the retirement system, and do not receive a refund of retirement deductions, you will be eligible for a deferred retirement if you:
- Are not eligible for an immediate annuity within 1 month of separation.
- Have completed 5 years of creditable civilian service.
- Are age 62 or older with at least 5 years of creditable service, or the Minimum Retirement Age (MRA) with at least 10 years of
You are not eligible to continue any health benefits or life insurance coverage you had while employed if you apply for a deferred retirement.
A deferred annuity is based on the length of service and high-3 average salary (highest average basic pay over any 3-year period) in effect when you separated from Federal service. A deferred annuity is reduced by five-twelfths
of 1 percent for each month you are younger than age 62 at the time of retirement. The annuity is not reduced if you completed at least:
- Thirty years of service and scheduled your annuity commencing date for the first day of the month following your MRA;
- Twenty years of service and delay your annuity commencing date until age 60; or
- Ten years of service and delay your annuity commencing date until age 62.
- Complete RI 92-19, Application for Deferred or Postponed Retirement
- Mail the OPM 1496A to:
Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Operations Center
P.O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017-0045