*** New Website Look and Content changes coming March 28th ***

Skip navigation links
CHR Home
Training & Development
Executive Management
HR Offices
Programs & Services
Skip navigation links
Retirement Readiness NOW
Employee Deductions
Voluntary Contributions
Opportunities to Elect FERS Coverage
Crediting Civilian Service Not Subject to Retirement Deductions
Crediting Civilian Service for Which You Received a Refund of the Retirement Deductions
Crediting Active Military Service
Nonpay Status
Voluntary Retirement
Early Voluntary Retirement
Discontinued Service Retirement
Special Retirement for Law Enforcement Officers and Firefighters
Special Retirement for Air Traffic Controllers
Disability Retirement
Deferred Retirement
Separating Employees Who Are Not Eligible for Immediate Annuity
CSRS Survivor Benefits
Court Orders
Re-employed Annuitants
Non-appropriated Fund Service
Request an Annuity Computation
Phased Retirement


CSRS employees are eligible to make voluntary contributions to the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. Voluntary contributions may be used to increase the amount of annuity at retirement or as a savings or investment option. Voluntary contributions should not be confused with contributions to the Thrift Savings Plan.

Total voluntary contributions may not exceed 10 percent of the total basic pay an employee has received to date. If you have questions about the maximum amount you can contribute to a voluntary contribution account contact the Benefits Line and ask to speak to a retirement specialist.

Voluntary contributions earn a variable interest rate determined by the Treasury Department each calendar year, based on the average yield of new investments purchased by the CSRS fund during the previous fiscal year.

You can not make voluntary contributions if you owe a deposit for nondeduction civilian service or a redeposit for refunded retirement deductions.


  1. Contact the Benefits Line and ask to speak to a retirement specialist for counseling about voluntary contributions.
  2. Complete and sign the SF 2804, Application to Make Voluntary Contributions. If you plan to make an initial deposit greater than $75,000, you can expedite the processing of your application by writing at the bottom of the SF 2804 “I want to make an initial deposit of more than $75,000.”
  3. Mail or fax the SF 2804 to the Civilian Benefits Center (CBC). Do not send any payment with your application. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) will send full instructions on how to make contributions once your application is accepted.
  4. The CBC will complete the agency certification section of the SF 2804 and forward it to OPM. You will receive a notice from the CBC after the SF 2804 has been sent to OPM.
  5. If you have questions about the status of your voluntary contributions account after you receive notification the SF 2804 has been forwarded to OPM, contact OPM at 724-794-2005, select menu option #2, extension 3004.
Emergency Preparedness
Key Strategic Documents
Website Accessibility/Section 508
Privacy Notice Terms of Use Contact Us
614 Sicard Street SE, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20374-5072
This is an official U.S. Navy website
No FEAR Act Navy IG