*** New Website Look and Content changes coming March 28th ***

Skip navigation links
CHR Home
Training & Development
Executive Management
HR Offices
Programs & Services
Skip navigation links
Retirement Readiness NOW
Employee Deductions
Voluntary Contributions
Opportunities to Elect FERS Coverage
Crediting Civilian Service Not Subject to Retirement Deductions
Crediting Civilian Service for Which You Received a Refund of the Retirement Deductions
Crediting Active Military Service
Nonpay Status
Voluntary Retirement
Early Voluntary Retirement
Discontinued Service Retirement
Special Retirement for Law Enforcement Officers and Firefighters
Special Retirement for Air Traffic Controllers
Disability Retirement
Deferred Retirement
Separating Employees Who Are Not Eligible for Immediate Annuity
CSRS Survivor Benefits
Court Orders
Re-employed Annuitants
Non-appropriated Fund Service
Request an Annuity Computation
Phased Retirement


Generally, credit is allowed for periods of creditable Federal civilian service while in a nonpay status (for example, leave without pay, suspension, furlough, and absence without leave) that do not exceed a total of 6 months in any calendar year.

Nonpay to Perform Active Military Duty. If you are in a nonpay status to perform active military duty you will continued to be covered by your current retirement system. If you die while on active military duty, death benefits will be paid as if you were still in the civilian position. If you become disabled for your civilian position while on active military duty and have 5 years of civilian service you can apply for disability retirement benefits.

When you return to a civilian position the period of military service is creditable under CSRS; however, you must make a deposit subject to the rules for crediting military service. The deposit amount is the lesser of:

  1. Seven percent of the military base pay or
  2. Whatever the employee contribution would have been for the civilian service had you not entered into active military duty.

Interest begins to accrue each year subsequent to a 2-year interest-free grace period from the date of your return to a civilian position. If you make the deposit during the interest-free grace period you will not be required to pay interest on the deposit. Employees may receive civilian pay subject to retirement deductions during their active military service by using either annual or military leave. If this applies to you, when you return to work and apply to pay a military deposit, you will owe a deposit only for the period of active military service not covered by civilian pay and retirement deductions.

Nonpay While Receiving Benefits From the Officer of Workers’ Compensation (OWCP). If you are receiving benefits from OWCP, credit is given for the entire period of compensation if you are carried on the rolls of the activity in a nonpay status.

Credit is also given for all of the period of separation during which a former employee was in receipt of workers' compensation, regardless of the type of appointment, provided the person is reemployed in Federal service and establishes title to annuity based on a subsequent separation.


  1. If you have service in a nonpay status to perform active military duty you must make a deposit to credit this service toward retirement.
  2. If you have service in a nonpay status while receiving benefits from OWCP, contact the Benefits Line and ask to speak to a retirement counselor.
Emergency Preparedness
Key Strategic Documents
Website Accessibility/Section 508
Privacy Notice Terms of Use Contact Us
614 Sicard Street SE, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20374-5072
This is an official U.S. Navy website
No FEAR Act Navy IG