If you are applying for retirement you must complete an SF 2801, Application for Immediate Retirement. Additional information about
retirement is contained in the pamphlet SF 2801A, Applying for Immediate Retirement Under the Civil Service Retirement System.
If you have any questions about completing the SF 2801, contact the Benefits Line and ask to speak to a retirement specialist.
Pages 1–11 of the document are information about retirement and instructions for completing the application.
SF 2801, Application. All applicants must complete Sections A–I. Pay special attention to the following:
- Section A – Identifying Information
- Enter your name as it is shown on your Leave and Earnings Statement or SF 50, Notification of Personnel Action.
- Enter the address and telephone number where you can be reached after retirement. Do not enter your work telephone number.
- Section F – Annuity Election
- Initial Block 1 if you are electing a full survivor annuity for your spouse.
- Initial in Block 2 if you are electing less than a full survivor annuity for your spouse. You must indicate a dollar amount (not a percentage) to be used as a base for the survivor annuity. The CSRS Survivor Annuity Calculator can help you figure the base amount and cost for a partial survivor annuity. Your retirement specialist can also help you with this calculation. If you choose this option, the base amount you enter here must match the amount on the SF 2801-2, Spouse’s Consent to Survivor Election. Your spouse must sign the SF 2801-2.
- Initial Block 3 if you are not married or are married and not electing a survivor annuity for your spouse (or former spouse). If you are currently married, your spouse must sign the SF 2801-2.
- Initial Block 4 if you are electing a survivor annuity for someone with an insurable interest. If you are applying for disability retirement you are not eligible to elect this option. Do not enter information about your spouse in this block unless you are electing an insurable interest survivor annuity for your spouse. If you are currently married, your spouse must sign the SF 2801-2. Consult with your retirement specialist before electing this option.
- Initial Block 5 if you are electing a survivor annuity for a former spouse. Consult with your retirement specialist before electing this option. If you are currently married, your spouse must sign the SF 2801-2.
- Section H – Direct Deposit and Tax Withholding Information
- Your current direct deposit and tax information will automatically transfer to OPM. You are not required to complete this section unless you want to change your current direct deposit or tax withholding information.
- Section I – Applicant’s Certification
SF 2801 Schedules A, B, and C. Complete these schedules only if you have active military service or have ever
received workers’ compensation benefits.
SF 2801 Schedule D. The Civilian Benefits Center will complete this form.
SF 2801-1 Certified Summary of Federal Service. The Civilian Benefits Center will complete this form. You are not
required to sign the Certified Summary of Federal Service form, even though the instructions indicate that you will receive the form
SF 2801-2 Spouse's Consent to Survivor Election. Complete this form if you are married and have completed SF 2801,
Section F, Block 2, 3, 4 or 5. If you elected a partial survivor annuity for your current spouse, enter the same dollar amount in
Block (c) of the SF 2801-2 that you entered in Section F of the SF 2801.
Your spouse must sign and date the SF 2801-2 in the presence of a notary public.