Under portability of retirement coverage, if you move from a retirement covered NAF position to a Civil Service Retirement System
(CSRS) or Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) covered position (or vice versa), you may elect to keep the retirement coverage
of your original position. Requirements for portability of retirement coverage depend on the date of your move and are defined by
several public laws.
- For a move made prior to December 28, 2001, contact the Benefits Line and ask to speak to a
retirement specialist for counseling about the eligibility requirements.
- For a move made after December 28, 2001, you are eligible to make an election if:
- You did not have a prior opportunity to elect to continue NAF coverage based on a prior qualifying move.
- Your break in service is no more than 1 year.
- You were participating in an NAF retirement plan.
- You are moving between a Department of Defense or Coast Guard NAF position and retirement covered civil service
position in any Federal agency.