ESCORT CLASS REQUIREMENTS
Reference (a): SECNAVINST 1640.9(Series)
Point of Contact
NAVCONBRIG Chesapeake Training Department (757) 421-8606/8661, DSN: 521-8606/8661 or via email at email@example.com.
Commands must have qualified escorts to move prisoners to and from the Brig.
To be qualified, personnel must attend a one-day Brig Escort Class, pass a proficiency test, and receive an Escort Identification Card (NAVPERS 1640/18). The certification is good for one year.
Army/Marine Corps Military Police, Air Force Security Police, Navy Master-At-Arms rates and formal NEC/MOS school trained corrections personnel are exempt from attending the class but must meet the screening criteria listed below.
Brig Escort Classes are conducted every Wednesday. Class size is limited, therefore, please reserve your spot 5 working days prior to the class you wish to attend. Instruction starts at 0800 and early arrival (NLT 0730) is advised. Personnel who show up after 0800 will be turned away.
Escorts shall be carefully selected for maturity and the ability to handle emergencies.
Requesting activities shall provide their own escorts for trial, administrative, legal, and any other appointments for pre-trial prisoners.
Commands with frequent prisoner movements shall provide a pool of escorts and each trip shall include at least one escort who has traversed the same route in similar transportation.
In all cases, at least one escort will be of the same gender as the prisoner.
When transporting an officer prisoner, at least one escort will be an officer of equal or higher rank than the officer prisoner.
Escorts will not be required or authorized to carry nightsticks or other weapons.
Maximum and Medium Custody In (MDI) prisoners must be escorted by at least two escorts. Maximum and Medium Custody In (MDI) prisoners shall wear restraints at all times while outside the security perimeter of the Brig.
A military judge (but never a lawyer) may direct that restraints be removed from a prisoner in a courtroom if, in the judge’s opinion, such restraint is not necessary.
- Must be mature, emotionally stable, and able to handle emergencies.
- Have no neuropsychiatric disorders, or recorded history of alcohol abuse, or in-service drug use.
- Have no record of conviction by courts-martial or Non-Judicial Punishment in the past 36 months.
- Have no record of civil court conviction, (except misdemeanor traffic violations).
- Have no physical disabilities or disfigurements,
- Be within service branch body composition standards, and passed most recent service PRT/PFT.
- No prior removal/revocation of escort status.
- Not identified as a witness or victim in a prisoner’s courts-martial related to the escort detail.
- Not have failed during last two prior attempts to pass the escort proficiency test.
Contact Brig Training at (757) 421-8606/8661 DSN 521-8606/8661 for further information.