BEARING THE STANDARD IN CORRECTIONAL EXCELLENCE
CDR. Carl Brobst
CDR. Jack Garcia
CMDCM Doug Bell
Command Master Chief
The mission of Naval Consolidated Brig Charleston is to ensure the security, good order, discipline and safety of adjudged and pretrial prisoners; to retrain and restore the maximum number of personnel to honorable service; to prepare prisoners for return to civilian life as productive citizens; and when directed by superior authority, detain enemy combatants in accordance with guidance from the President via the Secretary of Defense.
In order to accomplish the command mission, the following functions are set forth:
(1) Provide a secure, safe and humane environment for prisoners, detainees and staff according to the U.S. Code.
(2) Maintain a high level of military discipline within brig operations.
(3) Classify prisoners for restoration to active duty or for discharge from military service and return to civilian life.
(4) Provide resources and an environment which allows prisoners to serve sentences imposed by the court; fulfill individual responsibilities; and complete plans for restoration to duty or return to civilian life.
(5) Operate retraining programs, which include work; training (academic, vocational, military, physical); social skills; counseling (individual and group); substance abuse (drug and alcohol); religious and brig industries.
(6) Provide required reports and assist the Commander, Navy Personnel Command in gathering and evaluating data concerning administration, operations, programs and management of the brig.
(7) Provide military escort services for adjudged prisoners transferring to and from the brig, when required.
Appellate Defense Contact Number
Please call the Brig Legal Office at 843-794-0996 (DSN: 794-0996) to schedule an appointment to speak with your client.
Personal communications between media representatives and prisoners is not authorized unless a determination is made that such an interview serves a legitimate public interest. For more information contact Navy Personnel Command Public Affairs at 901-874-3507.