Skip navigation links
Career Info
Support & Services
Reference Library
Skip navigation links
Benefits and Entitlements
Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
Death Gratuity
VA Death Pension
Unpaid Pay & Allowances
Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)
Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
Montgomery GI Bill Death Benefit
Social Security Payments
ID Card
Medical Benefits
Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
General Information
Mortuary Services
Dependency and Indemnity Compensation
POW - MIA Branch
Regional Casualty Contacts
Long Term Assistance Program
Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) 

The DIC payments may be authorized for surviving spouses who have not remarried, unmarried children under age 18, disabled children, children between the age of 18 and 23 if attending a Veterans Administration (VA) approved school, and low-income parents of Service members who die from:

A disease or injury incurred or aggravated while on active duty or active duty for training.  An injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty while on inactive duty training.

A disability compensable by the Veterans’ Affairs. DIC paid to a surviving spouse is not based on the member’s military pay grade.  The amount paid for a spouse with one or more children of the deceased is increased for each child.  The amount of the DIC payment for parents vary according to the number of parents, the amount of their individual or combined total annual income, and whether they live together or if remarried, living with a spouse.  The surviving spouse and parents who receive DIC may be granted a special allowance for aid and attendance if a patient is in a nursing home, disabled, or blind and needs or requires the regular aid and attendance of another person.  If they are not so disabled as to require the regular aid and attendance of another person but who, due to disability, are permanently housebound, they may be granted additional special allowances.  DIC payments to a surviving spouse are payable for life, as long as the spouse does not remarry. Should the surviving spouse remarry, payments are terminated for life.  Your Casualty Assistance Calls Officer (CACO) or the nearest VA office will explain the benefit to you, the amounts that can be paid, and help you complete the required claim forms.


VA Form 21-534 - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death Pension and Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child (Including Death Compensation if Applicable) (Adobe PDF Fillable Form)

VA Form 21-534a - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation by a Surving Spouse or Child -  IN-SERVICE DEATH ONLY

VA Form 21-535 - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation by  Parent(s) (Including Accrued Benefits and  Death Compensation when Applicable)(Adobe PDF Non-fillable Form)

For further information pertaining to DIC, visit or contact your Casualty Assistance Calls Officer (CACO).


Family members that have received log-in credentials to access their Online Survivor Benefits Reports (OSBR) can use this link to navigate to their customized benefits reports. 



NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000 
Comments? Suggestions? Call 866-U-ASK-NPC or Email the Webmaster | Updated:8/26/2014 9:00 AM 

FOIA | US Navy | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy  |  Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map