Notify DFAS of Life-Changing Events
As you move through your retirement years, make sure you keep DFAS informed whenever anything changes that could affect your retired pay. You should make sure your contact information and check payment information in myPay are always current. If you experience a life-changing event, make sure you contact DFAS directly at Retired and Annuitant Pay to let them know.
The following are examples of life-changing events you should notify DFAS about, and the parentheses describe how these events could impact your account:
- Marriage (SBP, arrears of pay beneficiary, federal income tax)
- Divorce (SBP, arrears of pay beneficiary, federal income tax)
- Death of a spouse (SBP, arrears of pay beneficiary, federal income tax)
- Birth of a child (SBP, arrears of pay beneficiary, federal income tax)
- Moving to a new place of residence, even if just for the winter months (general correspondence delivery, 1099-R and retiree account statement mailing, state income tax withholding)
- Opening, changing or closing a bank account (net pay and allotment direct deposit)
- Changing your e-mail address stored in myPay (myPay account change notifications, retiree newsletters, myPay notifications for 1099-R and retiree account statement availability)
- Paying off and/or closing an insurance policy (net pay and allotment direct deposit)
- If you keep your information current in myPay and submit the appropriate paperwork when a life-changing event occurs, you will help DFAS improve the service provided to you and your loved ones.
Report life-changing events to:
U.S. Military Retired Pay
P.O. Box 7130
London, KY 40742-7130
You can also FAX information to: 800-469-6559, or call the DFAS Customer Care Center: 800-321-1080, option 1.