Skip navigation links
Career Info
Support & Services
Reference Library
Skip navigation links
Shift Colors
Shift Colors Archives
Current Issue
Mailing Address
E-mail distro
How to Report a Retiree's Death
Story 10 

Tips to Follow When Making a Bank Account Change

Courtesy DFAS

Follow the steps below to avoid missing or incorrect payments. If you’ve switched banks accounts and need to have your pay deposited to your new account, you can make the change online or by mail.

Either way, please use these two tips to avoid disruptions in your pay:

  • Only close your old bank account after you have received one monthly payment to your new account.
  • Please allow 30 to 45 days for your change to be processed and your retired pay account to be updated with your new banking information.

The quickest and easiest way to change your direct deposit bank account is through myPay because it is the official online account management system for military members and retirees. Login at and click “Direct Deposit” on the Main Menu.

If you can’t use myPay, complete a FMS 2231, direct deposit enrollment form, and send it to:

US Military Annuity Pay
P.O Box 7130
London, KY 40742-7130
Fax: 800-469-6559

US Military Annuity Pay
P.O Box 7131
London, KY 40742-7131
Fax: 800-982-8459



NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000 
Comments? Suggestions? Call 866-U-ASK-NPC or Email the Webmaster | Updated:4/1/2014 2:43 PM 

FOIA | US Navy | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy  |  Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map