Senior Enlisted Continuation Board Deadlines Approach
MILLINGTON, Tenn. (NNS) -- The deadline for commands to verify eligibility for the fiscal year 2012 performance-based senior enlisted continuation board (SECB) is Oct. 31.
Naval Education and Training Professional Development and Technology Center published the names of board-eligible Sailors Sept. 15. The names are also posted to both the Navy Enlisted Advancement System website at https://neasos.cnet.navy.mil and on Bupers Online (BOL) at https://www.bol.navy.mil for both candidates and command representatives to view.
Individuals can view their board eligibility profile sheet on Navy Knowledge Online Advancement Center Page at https://wwwa.nko.navy.mil/portal/careermanagement/navyadvancementcenter by selecting "Senior Enlisted Continuation Board Eligibility Profile."
According to NAVADMIN 194/11, active, Full Time Support and Reserve E-7 to E-9 Sailors with 19 years of service and three years time in rate as of Sept. 1 will be considered by the board.
Some senior enlisted who otherwise meet the time in service and grade criteria will be exempt from the board. These Sailors include:
- Sailors approved to transfer to the Fleet or Retired Reserve effective on or before Sept. 20, 2012;
- Selectees for command senior chief, command master chief, and LDO or CWO off the January 2011 board, or advancement off of a FY12 selection board ;
- Personnel enrolled in Safe Harbor;
- Fleet, force and command master chiefs, chiefs of the boat and command senior chiefs if the Sailors possess the Navy Enlisted Classification Code (NEC) 9580, 9579 or 9578;
- Sailors currently holding a nuclear NECs (see NAVADMIN 194/11 for listing);
- Sailors with orders to, or serving in the first two years of a non-consecutive overseas or Department of Defense area tour at the board convening date.
Navy Personnel Command (NPC) performed an initial assessment to determine exemptions, but it is important for commands to review the list and report any eligibility discrepancies to NPC by the Oct. 31 deadline. Once their initial review is complete commands will continue to review the eligibility list through Nov. 15 to monitor status of reported discrepancies.
Commands must verify they are using the most up to date profile sheets and note the "eligibility date" prior to contacting NPC to report an error as previously noted errors may still be in the process of being corrected.
Nov. 15 is the last day for commands to resolve eligibility discrepancies. Sailors who are on the list after Nov. 15 will be considered eligible for the board.
The FY-12 SECB was announced earlier this year in NAVADMIN 194/11. The board will focus on performance within the last five years or since advancement to current grade, whichever is later. Among the specific performance indicators the board will consider are:
- Documented misconduct involving either UCMJ or civilian offenses;
- Moral or professional dereliction such as relief for cause or detachment for cause;
- Continuity gaps in evaluation/fitness reports greater than 90 days;
- Evaluation/fitness reports with marks suggesting substandard or marginal performance;
- Any documented circumstance related to performance which results in a Sailor's inability to perform in his or her rating or duties.
SECB candidates should review their Official Military Personnel File on BOL for accuracy and submit any missing documents, like evaluation/fitness reports and awards to NPC for submission to the board. Submission guidance is outlined in the NAVADMIN. Candidates' letters to the board with all documents for consideration by the board as enclosures must be received by Nov. 15.
For more information, read the message at the NPC website at www.npc.navy.mil or call the NPC Customer Service Center at 1-866-U-ASK-NPC (1-866-827-5672).
For more news from Navy Personnel Command, visit www.navy.mil/local/npc/.