Some Sailors May Experience Compressed PCS Timelines this Fall
By Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class (AW) LaTunya Howard, Naval Personnel Command Public Affairs
MILLINGTON, Tenn. (NNS) -- The Chief of Naval Personnel (CNP) released an update in NAVADMIN 236/09 on permanent change of station (PCS) orders indicating that some Sailors set to move in the first quarter of fiscal year 2010 (FY10) will receive their orders after Oct. 1.
The recent supplemental funding from Congress allowed Navy Personnel Command (NPC) to resume normal order writing for the fourth quarter this fiscal year. This followed a temporary hold initiated in April.
"Using the prioritization strategy developed in Millington, we mitigated the impact of the initial PCS shortfall and were largely successful in minimizing the impacts on Sailors and their families," said Rear Adm. Don Quinn, commander NPC and deputy CNP. "One of the mitigation actions was to shift a number of projected rotation dates (PRDs) to FY10."
Although funds were restored for those receiving orders through September, the majority of PRDs that were shifted to FY10 will remain adjusted.
Current funding levels support all identified fourth quarter FY09 moves. However, a PCS obligation policy change that went into effect earlier this year means that PCS funds must be obligated when orders are released, instead of when the Sailor detaches. The result is that some of the FY10 orders cannot be released until the new fiscal year.
"Because of the additional FY09 funding, approximately 4,000 Sailors scheduled to detach in the first quarter of FY10 will receive orders soon," said Quinn.
"However, up to 14,000 Sailors slated to detach during the first quarter of FY10 will not receive orders until after 1 Oct."
For more news from Navy Personnel Command, visit www.navy.mil/local/npc.