Selection for the limited available Officer Candidate School (OCS) billets is extremely competitive. Ensure you work with your local Officer Recruiter, your SEAL Mentor (email@example.com), and the SEAL Officer Community Manager (OCM) to ensure your package is complete.
For more information about OCS and to find your local officer recruiter, visit the OCS website.
SEAL Officer applicants desiring to gain their commission through OCS must submit an OCS package to their Officer Recruiter and an NSW Officer package to the SEAL OCM. The OCS and NSW Officer application processes are separate and run concurrently. Both must be successful to become a SEAL Officer.
OCS candidates selected for a SEAL officer panel interview will be contacted via the SEAL Officer Community Manager (OCM) and their Navy Officer recruiter with details.
• See Important Dates
• September of year applying: NRC typically releases results. Applicants receive notification from their recruiter.
MANMED P-117 Chapter 15, Section 105 – eye requirements on pages 32 and 91.
OPNAVINST 1420.1B (Chapter 4)
MANMED P-117 (Chapter 15)
MILPERSMAN 1210-220 (Section 7)
SEAL PA 100D December 2009 (available from your recruiter).
MILPERSMAN 1220-410 - PST requirements
SEAL Officer Application Contents
1. Personal Motivation Statement: a one page (500 words) essay on why you want to be a SEAL officer. Beyond this general guidance, the essay is your chance to highlight your strengths, accomplishments, and experiences that enhance your application. It is recommended that you include athletic endeavors, specifically collegial sports played and leadership positions held, along with language expertise and cultural experiences.
2. Photograph: a color photo of the applicant—full length 4x6—is optional, although strongly encouraged. Attach photo to provided form and fill out blocks 1, 5, and 6.
3. PST Test Results Form: test must be administered by a SEAL Mentor or qualified Naval Special Warfare tester.
4. Resume or Curriculum Vitae. There is no specific format required. Include accurate contact information. If you have ever applied or competed to become a SEAL Officer, include date applied or competed and how far into the process you got.
5. No more than one (1) Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- The LOR should not solely be character references. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential.
- There is not a required format for LOR. Address the LOR to "President, SEAL Officer Selection Panel". Direct questions and mail completed packages to “SEAL Officer Community Manager”, in accordance with the guidance for package submission.
6. Official College Transcript
7. DD2807: medical history.
8. DD2808: medical exam stamped "PQ for diving duty".
**Submit Package to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil**
**Please encrypt any e-mails containing PII and ensure compliance of your command's PII guidance. If you do choose to send unencrypted e-mails containing your PII understand the risk involved. **