Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) midshipmen should inform their chain of command in their 4/C year of their desire to be selected for a Naval Special Warfare 1/C Summer Cruise quota and seek out current and former SEALs for mentorship. Midshipmen must submit one package during their 2/C year. This package will be used for consideration to attend NSW Summer Cruise and final selection. Applications shall be submitted via the Midshipman’s chain of command to, and for processing by, Naval Service Training Command (NSTC)/OD4. The Midshipman’s application will then be routed to the SEAL OCM. Midshipmen will be notified by NSTC in the fall of their 1/C year as to final selection. The SEAL OCM and Detailer will follow-up with selectees with additional information. Midshipmen shall coordinate package submission with their chain of command
All applications for NROTC Midshipmen to become SEAL Officers are processed by the Naval Service Training Command (NSTC)
Uniform for interviews will be Summer White.
• MANMED P-117 Chapter 15, Section 105 – eye requirements on pages 32 and 91.
The Hyperbaric Pressure Test for NROTC is given to selected candidates upon arrival at Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training.
• Regulations for Officer Development for NROTC, NSTC INST 1533.2A
(Ch. 5, Section 5-9 (d) and Ch. 6 Section 6-31(6))
• OPNAVINST 1420.1B
• MANMED P-117 (Chapter 15)
• MILPERSMAN 1210-220 (Section 7)
• MILPERSMAN 1220-410
There may be instances where you find conflicting information on web sites and in documents. Contact the OCM if conflicting information affects the submission of your application package. As a general rule, trust approved Navy instructions, not web content.
• See Important Dates
SEAL Officer Application Contents
1. NSTC Service Selection Package: Provided by NROTC unit.
2. Duty Preference/Recommendation: signed by NROTC unit commanding officer, to include first choice designator (1180 for SEAL officer).
3. Personal Motivation Statement: up to a one page (500 words) letter on why you want to be a SEAL officer. Beyond this general guidance, the letter is your chance to highlight your strengths, accomplishments, and experiences that enhance your application. It is recommended that you include athletic endeavors, specifically collegial sports played and leadership positions held, along with language expertise and cultural experiences.
4. Photograph: a color photo of the applicant in uniform—with or without cover and either full or 3/4 length—is optional, although strongly encouraged. Attach photo to the provided form and fill out blocks 1 through 6.
5. Report of Applicant Screening: PST Test Results Form
6. No more than one (1) Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- The LOR should not solely be character references. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential.
- There is not a required format for LOR. Address the LOR to "President, SEAL Officer Selection Panel". Direct questions and mail completed packages to “SEAL Officer Community Manager”, in accordance with the guidance for package submission.
7. Official College Transcript
8. DD2807: medical history.
**EKG/ECG must be completed**
9. DD2808: medical exam stamped "PQ for diving duty".
**Dive medical officer signature is preferred but not required on physcial to attend summer cruise but is required for final accession into NSW**
**Submit Package to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil**
**Please encrypt any e-mails containing PII and ensure compliance of your command's PII guidance. If you do choose to send unencrypted e-mails containing your PII understand the risk involved. **