The Screening Panel selects a very limited number of officers from the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for re-designation as 1180 and follow-on SEAL training. Applicants shall be an O-1 or O-2 at the time of selection and on permanent active duty throughout the selection and transfer process. The SEAL Officer Community Manager will determine and publish eligible Year Groups based on the needs of NSW. Interested applicants must be aware of requirements associated with inter-service transfers, as outlined in Military Personnel Manual (MILPERSMAN) 1300-082, Inter-service Transfer of an Officer into the Navy. Applicants should work with the SEAL OCM to ensure their packages are complete and properly submitted.
• See Important Dates
• September: Selectees notified through their service chain-of-command, but final transfer requires the concurrence by both the losing and gaining services.
Specific inter-service transfer eligibility requirements
• O-1 or O-2 at time of selection: more senior officers do not have the ability to complete career milestones based on seniority.
• Must be on permanent active duty throughout the selection and transfer process.
• MANMED P-117 Chapter 15, Section 105 – eye requirements on pages 32 and 91.
• SECNAVINST 1000.7F - Interservice Transfer of Commissioned Officers
• NAVMILPERSMAN 1300-082 - Interservice Transfer of an Officer into the Navy
• MILPERSMAN 1210-220 - Naval Special Warfare Officer (SEAL)
• OPNAVINST 1420.1B - Enlisted to Officer Commissioning Programs Application
• Air Force
• Marine Corps
• Coast Guard
• Public Health Service
SEAL Officer Application Contents
1. Application Letter for Inter-Service Transfer to NSW: example.
2. Commanding Officer’s Inter-Service Transfer Endorsement Letter (conditional release from parent service).
3. Complete NSW Applicant Questionnaire.
4. Statement of Understanding: example.
5. Photograph: a color photo of the applicant in uniform—with or without cover and either full or 3/4 length—is optional, although strongly encouraged. Attach photo to the provided form and fill out blocks 1 through 6.
6. Report of Applicant Screening: example. The Physical Screening Test (PST) and pressure test is recorded on this form by a SEAL officer or officer at your command.
7. Resume or Curriculum Vitae. There is no specific format required. Include accurate contact information. If you have ever applied or competed to become a SEAL Officer, include date applied or competed and how far into the process you got.
8. Official College Transcript
9. Copy of Master Personnel Record
10. No more than two (2) Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- The LOR should not solely be character references. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential.
- There is not a required format for LOR. Address the LOR to "President, SEAL Officer Selection Panel". Direct questions and mail completed packages to “SEAL Officer Community Manager”, in accordance with the guidance for package submission.
11. Source of Original Commission Documentation
12. DD2807: medical history.
13. DD2808: medical exam stamped PQ for diving duty.
**Submit Package to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil**
**Please encrypt any e-mails containing PII and ensure compliance of your command's PII guidance. If you do choose to send unencrypted e-mails containing your PII understand the risk involved**