Machinist's Mate (MM)
Notes from the Surface Engineering Detailing Team
- Contact the CMS/ID Help Desk 10 months prior your PRD to have your account enabled. After 30 days of no activity, your CMS/ID account will be disabled.
- Update your contact information on CMSID. Updating your contact information will enable your Detailer to communicate more effectively with you while negotiating for orders.
- You may submit up to 5 applications while in your negotiation window (9-7 months prior to your PRD). You CAN apply for billets one paygrade up or one down of your current grade.
- Please note that NAVADMIN 226/12 requires Detailers to fill requisitions with qualified Sailors, even if it is during a Sailor’s first month of negotiations.
Shore Special Program
- Qualified female Engineers are needed as Recruit Division Commanders (RDC)!
- Recruiting duty and service as a RDC offer great opportunities for top performing surface engineers. Benefits include extra pay, command advancement opportunities and college attendance while in uniform during working hours.
- Contact your detailer 12 months out from your PRD to negotiate for shore Special Programs billets, including recruiting, RDC, SAPR, EO, SERE Instructor and MEP Stations.
- You MUST be released to Shore Special Programs by your rating detailer.
- A secret security clearance is required for all special program assignments (sea and shore). Start yours today!!
- Top Snipes are needed aboard all surface ships. Top Snipe opportunities are available for select and top-performing E6-E9 EN, MM, GSE, GSM, GS and EM personnel! Click the Top Snipe link for more information or call your detailer.
- Overseas screening must be completed promptly. Sailors are allowed 30 days, while family members have 60 days, to complete screening requirements. Refer to NAVADMIN 203-14.
- Spouse Collocation does not guarantee a specific geographic area. Refer to MILPERSMAN 1306-1000 in verifying your eligibility.
- Increased Distribution Authority guidance is discussed in NAVADMIN 058/14.
- When leaving a phone message for your detailer, speak clearly and slowly, and don’t forget to leave a contact number!
- Use your Career Counselors for assistance. If there are questions they cannot answer, call your detailer.
- We are a mobile force! The Navy needs flexible sailors to tackle unique challenges throughout the world. Plan on moving and changing geographical locations during your career!
- Contact your detailer! We are here to help and guide you through your career. For more information, click the Contact Us link.
MM Detailing Tips
- If interested in applying for billets with NEC 4283 O2N2 Productions Systems Technician, line score requirements are AR + WK = 105.
- Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW) qualification is required for surface engineers that are assigned to ATG and SWOSCOLCOM MM E7 billets.