EA Community Overview
EA Career Path
Engineering Aides assist construction engineers in developing final construction plans. They conduct land surveys; prepare maps, sketches, drawings and blueprints; estimate costs; perform quality assurance tests on common construction materials such as soils, concrete and asphalt; and perform other engineering technician functions. This is a 5 year enlistment program.
What They Do
The duties performed by EAs include:
- conducting location surveys for roads, airfields, pipelines, ditches, buildings, drainage structures and waterfront construction;
- preparing hydrographic, topographic and triangulation drawings and maps;
- computing the volume of bulk materials (concrete, bituminous mixtures and earthwork) from drawings and specifications;
- laying out all types of construction work;
- operating and maintaining various types of precision surveying and laboratory test instruments and equipment;
- preparing architectural, mechanical, electrical, and civil drawings and sketches;
designing grading and drainage systems;
- conducting concrete, soil and asphalt tests;
- conducting quality control inspections for all types of construction projects;
prepare network analysis, charts and graphs;
- reading and interpreting blueprints and preparing sketches for projects;
making estimates of material, labor, and equipment requirements.
EAs may work in a variety of conditions, independently or as members of a large team. Their many different duties may be performed in climates ranging from desert to arctic.
ASVAB: AR + 2MK + GS = 207
1/2 Yr HS Trig or 1 Qtr College - Min Grade "C"