Transition GPS Brief (April 2016) The goal of the program is to provide professional career development resources throughout the military career life cycle (MLC). Per OPNAVINST 1900.2C and the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011, every Service member is eligible for and will have full access to transition services and must meet Career Readiness Standards (CRS) prior to separation.
VOW Compliance Reports
NSIPS Analytics, using the Navy Retention Monitoring System (NRMS) provides the capability to report and analyze active and reserve, officer and enlisted GPS data via ad hoc and standardized reports down to the UIC level.
GPS Reports Screenshots CIMS GPS Tracking Screenshots
Guidance and Forms
- Directive Type Memorandums (DTM): 12-007 Chapter 2
- NAVADMINS: 334/12; 53/13; 187/13; 154/14; 243/14; 030/15
- Pre-separation Counseling (DD Forms 2648, 2648-1)
- Individual Transition Plan (ITP) Forms:
- DD Form 2958 - Service Member CRS/ITP checklist
- ITP Block 1: needs, finances, training, certification
- ITP Block 2: employment
- ITP Block 3: higher education
- ITP Block 4: technical training (optional)
- ITP Block 5: entrepreneurship (optional)
- ITP Block 6: transition timeline (optional)
Career Readiness Standards (CRS):
The CRS/ITP Checklist (DD Form 2958) is required to provide documentation of meeting the following readiness standards to a transition counselor and command representative prior to separation. These standards are designed to increase abilities to successfully overcome any challenges that may be faced in pursuit of choosing a career path.
Common Readiness Standards Applicable to All Career Paths:
- Attend pre-separation counseling.
- Complete pre-separation counseling checklist DD Form 2648 / DD Form 2648-1.
- Register for VA Benefits (eBenefits).
- Prepare a post-separation, 12-month budget reflecting personal and family goals and obligations
- Complete assessment profile.
- Evaluate opportunities presented by continuing military service in a Reserve Component.
- Crosswalk military occupational skill (MOS) set to civilian skills (MOS crosswalk) to include an evaluation of the demand for those civilian skills within the potential relocation destinations.
- Identify and document requirements and eligibility for licensure, certification and apprenticeships at potential relocation destinations.
- Complete the DD Form 2958 and provide documentation of meeting the CRSs for the chosen career path.
Employment Readiness Standards:
- Complete a job application package or receive a job offer.
- Receive a DoD Gold Card Certificate for Department of Labor (DOL) American Job Centers.
Education and Technical Training Readiness Standards:
- Complete a comparison of academic or training institution choices.
- Prepare and submit an Education Application or Technical Training Package (e.g., submit application to academic institution and/or provide an acceptance letter).
- Schedule one-on-one counseling with the academic advisor from the institution being attended.
- Connect with the Student Veteran Organization at the chosen institution.
Transition GPS Includes:
- Pre-sep counseling; ITP preparation; military to civilian crosswalk; VA benefits briefing; financial planning support and job search skills building workshop provided by DOL. (These elements are presented in a 5-day period and work together to incorporate post military CRS, which will better equip Service Members for transition into civilian life.)
- Personnel should attend Transition GPS with the following required prerequisites:
- Completed DD Form 2648/ DD Form 2648-1
- VA E-benefits registration information (DSLogon)
- ITP template (with a block 1 initiated to the best ability of separating Service Members)
- Additionally, to assist service members in meeting CRSs and to obtain the most benefit from the course, it is recommended they bring the following documentation for their own personal use during various modules of the class:
- Copy of Career Interest Assessment from O*Net "Interest Profiler"
- Copy of Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET)
- Most recent LES
- Copy of Evals/FITREPS
- SMART transcript and training record
- Copy of credit report
A transition program culminating event that verifies the Service Member meets the CRS and the service member has a viable plan for transition and connects them with external agencies that can offer additional assistance to ensure a successful transition to civilian life.