Reserve Enlisted High Year Tenure Waivers
PURPOSE: The High Year Tenure (HYT) program is a vital and effective force shaping tool to properly size and shape the Navy, i.e. ensure a dynamic force with appropriate advancement opportunity for enlisted personnel.
It establishes standardized length of service (LOS) gates by paygrade balanced with a waiver process that allows the Navy to retain high performing sailors with needed skill sets. For HYT gates, visit the PERS-913 HYT FAQ page.
Active Duty (ACDU), Full Time Support (FTS), and Selected Reserve (SELRES) HYT requests are processed by Enlisted Community Managers (BUPERS-32). Please send all completed NAVPERS 1306/7 to the HYT Help Desk:
Point of Contact:
Voluntary Training Unit (VTU)/Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) HYT requests are processed by PERS-913. Please send all completed NAVPERS 1306/7 to PERS-913 regional mailboxes listed at the bottom of this page.
Key provisions of HYT Policy
1) Personnel who reach their HYT gate must be removed from a SELRES status by the end of the month their HYT date is reached. The following options are available:
If eligible, member may request transfer to the Retired Reserve (with or without pay).
Member may request transfer to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and continue to accrue qualifying service (all physical, age, and other retention criteria must continue to be met).
Member may request transfer to the Voluntary Training Unit (VTU)/IRR and continue to drill in a non-pay status.
Members must obtain a waiver from Navy Personnel Command (PERS-913) to re-affiliate if they are past their HYT gate.
2) HYT restrictions for Active Duty Operational Support and Temporary Recall orders:
- HYT is not an eligibility factor for Active Duty for Special Work (ADSW) and Temporary Recall.
SELRES who reach HYT while on ADSW or Temporary Recall Orders will be transferred to the VTU prior to executing orders unless in receipt of an approved HYT waiver from BUPERS-32.
Sailors in a HYT status are ineligible to participate for advancement in rate while on ADSW or Temporary Recall orders unless in receipt of an approved HYT waiver from BUPERS-32.
3) HYT restrictions for sailors mobilized under the authorities listed in OPNAVINST 3060.7B, figure 1.1:
- HYT is not a factor in mobilization identification.
- Sailors who reach HYT status while on mobilization shall not be demobilized due to this status.
- Upon reaching HYT date, mobilized SELRES will be transferred to the VTU while still on orders. Sailors reaching HYT while mobilized are ineligible to participate for advancement in rate unless in receipt of an approved HYT waiver from BUPERS-32.
4) HYT Waivers will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Should be submitted to PERS-913 not more than 10 months before the HYT date when a manning deficiency is identified.
- Should include NAVPERS 1306/7 Enlisted Personnel Action Request with the following information:
- Member's rate, full name and last 4 of SSN
- Desired length of waiver (in months)
- Performance Mark evaluation data for last three evaluation periods
- Command POC
5) HYT Waivers which are of a strictly "Personal convenience nature" will not be approved and should not be submitted. Examples include (but are not limited to):
- Personnel who desire to obtain the necessary service to participate for advancement.
- To permit members to have a more personally advantageous date for retirement.
- To increase a member's anticipated financial entitlements based on the length of military service.
For more information, contact the PERS-913 HYT Program Coordinator Points of Contact.
PERS-913 HYT PROGRAM COORDINATOR
COMM: (901) 874-4368
ASST Branch Head
COMM: (901) 874-4510
Leading Petty Officer:
COMM: (901) 874-4556
Regions: Mid-Atlantic (Great Lakes, IL and Norfolk, VA)
COMM: (901) 874-4509
COMM: (901) 874-4746
Regions: Southeast (Fort Worth, TX and Jacksonville, FL)
COMM: (901) 874-4506
COMM: (901) 874-3416