Reserve Enlisted Administrative Separations
PURPOSE: promote the readiness of the Navy by providing an orderly means to:
- Evaluate the suitability of persons to serve in the Armed Forces based on their ability to meet required performance, conduct, and disciplinary standards;
- Maintain standards of performance, conduct, and discipline through characterization of service in a system that emphasizes the importance of honorable service;
- Achieve authorized force levels and grade distributions;
- Provide an orderly means of discharge for enlisted personnel.
PERS 913 IS ADSEP AUTHORITY FOR ALL ENLISTED SELRES SEPARATION REQUESTS. FTS/REGNAV ADSEPS are submitted to PERS-832
CO’S HAVE LOCAL ADSEP AUTHORITY WHEN:
(ALL must apply):
a. CO is an O4 or above,
b. Not under original MSO,
c. Characterization is HON or GEN
CO'S DO NOT HAVE LOCAL ADSEP AUTHORITY WHEN:
(only one has to apply):
a. Under initial eight year MSO,
b. Characterization of discharge is OTH
c. CO is an O3 or below
MOST COMMON ADSEPS:
Refer to Military Personnel Manual (MPM) 1910-010 through 1910-900 and DODI 1332.14 for all other ADSEP’s
COMMON ERRORS FOUND IN ADSEP PACKAGES WHICH DELAY FINAL DISPOSITION:
- Supporting documentation missing from package.
- NRA submits ADSEP package to PERS 913 less than 30 days from the member’s receipt of ADSEP notification (MPM 1910-408).
- Letter of Transmittal being signed "By direction“, or not in the correct format. (MPM 1910-600).
- Other Than Honorable (OTH) separations conducted at NRA level without proper authority (BUPERS 1001.39F, Chapter 8).
- NRA conducting local ADSEP on members with MSO remaining (BUPERS 1001.39F, Chapter 8).
- MPM 1910-156 used for Unsatisfactory Drill Participation, use MPM 1910-158
- MPM 1910-124 used for personnel that fail to update the Family Care Plan Certificate, use MPM 1910-158 due to failing to respond to official correspondence. MPM 1910-124 should be used when a member has stated that they cannot execute the Family Care Plan Certificate.
- Incorrect NAVPERS 1910 submitted (i.e. 1910/32 used when characterization of OTH is or should be pursued).
- Incorrect or missing page 13 for Pattern of Misconduct ADSEPs (Must use the page 13 shown in MPM 1910-204).
- Missing Urinalysis Register on cases involving Drug Use.
- Missing Administrative Board Record of Proceedings (ROP) and findings/recommendations sheet when an admin board was held (MPM 1910-516).
- Records not properly screened for deployment to Hazardous Duty Pay/Imminent Danger Pay zone prior to processing for ADSEP (MPM 1910-702)
- Sworn affidavit is not included with ADSEP package when a member does not sign NAVPERS 1910/31 or 1910/32. A PS form 3800 and/or 3811 included with the package does not mitigate the requirement for a prepared sworn affidavit. (MPM 1910-408 & MPM 1910-412)
Processing time for ADSEPs:
30 days from the date sent to PERS-913
Points of Contact:
Regions: Mid-Atlantic (Great Lakes, IL and Norfolk, VA)
Regions: Southeast (Fort Worth, TX and Jacksonville, FL)