A number of Sailors in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) will be required to participate in an on-site muster at two locations: Fort Worth, Texas, and Norfolk, Virginia. The Fort Worth muster is scheduled to take place July 28 and 29, and Aug. 4 and 5. The Norfolk muster schedule is still being finalized and has tentative dates in Aug and Sept. IRR members are required by law (Title 10, U.S.C., subsection 12319) to muster annually in order to assess the overall readiness of IRR personnel. The Navy has been conducting virtual musters for the past several years with the last physical muster happening in 2011.
· Selected Sailors from the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) will be required to participate in an in-person, on-site muster at two locations: Fort Worth, Texas, and Norfolk, Virginia.
· The Fort Worth muster is scheduled to take place July 28 and 29, and Aug. 4 and 5.
· Sailors have been selected and will be notified via e-mail and U.S. Postal Service mail. Only those Sailors who receive notifications are required to participate.
· Sailors selected will receive a Muster Duty Allowance of approximately $240, less applicable taxes. Only Sailors who received official notification requiring them to muster and attend will receive the allowance. Any Sailor who shows up for muster who did not receive a notification will not be paid for attending.
· IRR Sailors are required to muster annually to assess the readiness of IRR personnel.
· The requirement is directed by law – Title 10 U.S.C., subsection 12319 – and by DoD Directive 1200.7.
· Selected IRR Sailors will have four days to choose from to attend and report time is 8 a.m.
· The itinerary for the muster is roughly the following:
o Non-medical physical screening (height and weight)
o Fill out a Report of Medical History (DD Form 2807)
o Reserve Personnel Management brief
o Career-related briefings
· Uniforms may be worn, but are not required; civilian attire shall be professional in nature.
· Selected Sailors must contact Navy Personnel Command by July 13 to verify personal contact information and schedule a muster date (Fort Worth muster only)
· Failure to attend the muster may result in the Sailor’s transfer to an inactive status.
· Muster orders will be provided via email. Those selected must show their ID card and a copy of their orders at the gate to gain entry to the base.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why is the Navy conducting a muster?
A1. The Navy is required by law (Title 10 U.S.C., subsection 12319 and DoD
Directive 1200.7) to muster the IRR annually. The purpose is to assess the overall
readiness of IRR personnel.
Q2. Do all Sailors in the IRR have to report?
A2. No. Only those Sailors who received an emailed and/or written notification from Navy Personnel Command are required to participate.
Q3. Where and when are the musters being conducted?
A3. These musters are being held in Fort Worth, TX, on July 28 and 29, and Aug. 4 and 5.
Q4. What is the uniform for the muster?
A4. Participants may wear their Navy uniform or civilian attire. If civilian attire is worn it must be professional in nature.
Q5. Will participants be paid for attending the muster?
A5. Yes, those participants who received notifications from NPC will be paid approximately $240, less applicable taxes, for the day. Only Sailors who receive official notification from NPC and attend will receive the Muster Duty Allowance. Moreover, Sailors who did not receive a notification from NPC will not be paid if they show up.
Q6. What will the sequence of events be at the muster?
A6. Sailors will check in, have a non-medical physical screening (height and weight), fill out a Report of Medical History (DD Form 2807), listen to a briefing from NPC’s Reserve Personnel Management, break for lunch, and then listen to recruiter briefings.
Q7. Do I have to contact anyone to make an appointment or anything like that?
A7. Yes. IRR Sailors selected for this on-site muster must contact NPC no later than July 13 (Fort Worth, TX) to schedule the date they will attend the muster.
Q8. Does the letter I receive from NPC act as my muster orders?
A8. No. You will receive a separate email with muster orders. You will need to show your ID card and a copy of your muster orders at the gate to gain access to the base.
Q9. Who do I contact for more information?
. You can contact an IRR counselor at 1-800-535-2699, or email email@example.com
. Counselors are available Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Central time).
Q10. Why are only Fort Worth and Norfolk area IRR members required to muster in person? Will other locations also be subject to future in-person muster requirements?
A10. Planning is underway for additional on-site muster locations in Fiscal Year 2019.
Q11. How many IRR members are being selected for this in-person muster?
A11. Approximately 420 IRR members have been selected to muster on-site in Fort Worth. Approximately 1,100 IRR members have been selected to muster on-site in Norfolk.