Please refer to OPNAVINST 1330.2B for rules, eligibility, and application procedures.
NAVADMIN 095/09 - Initial program announcement, NAVADMIN 301/09 - Change to CIP application procedures, NAVADMIN 125/13 - announces leave changes from FY13 NDAA, NAVADMIN 209/16 - announces quota, eligibility, and program end date changes.
The Career Intermission Program allows Officers and enlisted Sailors the ability to transfer out of the active component and into the Individual Ready Reserve for up to 3 years while retaining full health care coverage and base privileges.
· Interested participants should submit an electronic application package to PERS-9 Career Intermission Program Manager for consideration. Packages will be reviewed for eligibility and routed to the member's Detailer (PERS-4) and Community Managers (BUPERS-3) before final approval by Commander, Navy Personnel Command (NPC).
· Participants leave Active Duty and electronically "muster" for accountability purposes during their time in the program. Upon returning to Active Duty, the Navy will adjust the date of rank or time-in-rate for participants in order to compete in promotion boards with service members at the same experience level.
· Participants retain their full medical/dental benefits for themselves and their dependents, as well as NEX/Commissary benefits. Participants will also receive a reserve stipend equal to 2 times 1/30th their basic pay.
· There is no requirement to be at the end of EAOS to take part.
· OBLISERVE is required; participants will serve 2 months for every month in the IRR, participating in the CIP, in addition to any and all remaining and future active duty obligations.
· Service members are eligible to use their GI Bill while participating in the program (provided GI Bill requirements are met), but not for Tuition Assistance.
CIP Application Template.DOC
CIP SECNAV Agreement.docx
CIP Return to Active Duty Notification Template.docx
Section 619(c)(2)(B) of Title 10, U.S.C. authorizes the SECNAV to prescribe up to one year of deferred promotion eligibility for officers who have been recently placed on the Active Duty List (ADL). Per SECNAVINST 1420.1B, "Officers who would be eligible for consideration by a promotion board as an in-zone or above-zone eligible within one year of placement on the ADL shall be informed that their eligibility for such consideration will be deferred unless they specifically request consideration."
In-zone and above-zone eligible officers in the grades of lieutenant, lieutenant commander, and commander, whose placement on the Active-Duty List is within one year of the convening dates of these boards, are automatically deferred unless they specifically request to be considered. The officer may waive this deferment and request consideration for promotion, in writing, to:
Commander, Navy Personnel Command (PERS-802)
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-0000
The request must be received by PERS-802 not later than 30 days prior to the convening date of the board. All officers are reminded it is their responsibility to ensure their personnel records are substantially accurate and complete.