Upon an officer or sailor’s separation, the record is maintained by the Navy indefinitely.
The OMPF consists of digital images of documents by categories, Fitness Reports, Awards, Professional History, Personal Data, Orders, Privileged Information, and Enlisted Record. Images are accessible using a normal web browser.
The Retain/Delete List contains a list of documents that do/not go in the OMPF. Read also Enlisted Record Update or Officer Record Update on documents.
The BUPERSINST 1070.27 contains document guidelines for the OMPF.
The following MILPERMAN articles (1070 series) pertain to the OMPF. (Go to References for direct links)
- MILPERSMAN 1070-010 Security of Personnel Records
- MILPERSMAN 1070-020 Officer Permanent Personnel Record
- MILPERSMAN 1070-030 Creating the Officer Permanent Personnel Record
- MILPERSMAN 1070-080 Enlisted Permanent Personnel Record
- MILPERSMAN 1070-090 Creating the Enlisted Permanent Personnel Record
- MILPERSMAN 1070-150 Requests for Copies of the Permanent Personnel Record
- MILPERSMAN 1070-170 Documents Filed in Permanent Personnel Record