Skip navigation links
Career Info
Support & Services
Reference Library
Skip navigation links
Career Counseling
Career Toolbox
Enlisted Career Admin
Language & Culture
Limited Duty
Officer Career Prog
Pay and Benefits
Performance Evaluation
Personnel Conduct and Separations
Records Management
Military Personnel Records
Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR)
Decorations and Medals (Awards)
Discharge Certificates
Electronic Service Record (ESR)
Electronic Submission
Enlisted Field Service Record Closeout
Home of Record
OMPF - Command View
OMPF - My Record
Records - Retired
Selection Board Review
Statement of Service
Unemployment Compensation
Reserve Personnel Mgmt
Records - Retired 


The Retired Records Section, PERS-312B, is physically located at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), St. Louis, Missouri.  This office verifies entitlement to and issues awards for Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard veterans, and provides liaison between the Navy (NPC/BUPERS/NRPC), and NPRC for a variety of information from retired records.

The Retired Records Section responds to award requests from Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard veterans or, if deceased, their Next of Kin.  Requests should be concise and to the point.  The use of Standard Form 180 (Requests pertaining to Military Records) is recommended.  All requests should contain the following information:

Full Name (If first and middle name are initials only, so state).

SSN and Service Number (if prior to 1972)
Branch of Service
Period of Service by Branch
Place and Date of Birth
If Name has Changed, provide Both Names

Former Members (Retired or Separated) (1995 and Prior)

Records for Veterans that retired or separated prior to 1995 may not be located at the Navy Personnel Command.  However, the link below should assist you in locating your documents.

How to Locate Navy Records

Requesting Records from NPRC

If the records are located at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) St. Louis, Missouri, there are several options to request records or proof of service (DD-214).  See NPRC’s website on “How to Request Military Service Records or Prove Military Service

  • Use the eVetRecs request system
  • Mail or Fax Standard Form SF-180  (The SF 180 from this website is an Adobe .PDF file.  To view and print this file, obtain the free Adobe Acrobat reader if you don’t have it)

To reduce time delay, the Veteran or their next of kin (if the veteran is deceased) should use the eVetRecs request system.

Questions related to NRPC website:  See NPRC FAQ's.

NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000 
Comments? Suggestions? Call 866-U-ASK-NPC or Email the Webmaster | Updated:10/5/2012 3:05 PM 

FOIA | US Navy | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy  |  Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map