Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In


How do I request ADSW?

Only a Command/Pillar OSO should submit a request for an ADSW requirement. Reservists may apply for ADSW opportunities that have been approved after a Command/Pillar OSO has submitted a request for ADSW.  Further guidance for Command/Pillar OSOs interested in submitting a request for ADSW is located on this webpage entitled “ADSW Command Guidance”. Further guidance for reservists concerning ADSW opportunities is located on this webpage entitled “ADSW Guidance for Reservists”.

Where can I find out about opportunities to serve on ADSW?

Please contact your Operation Support Officer (OSO) at your local Reserve Center (NOSC) or check for advertised positions on the Navy Reserve Homeport Site.

How long does it typically take for ADSW orders to be written?

Typical turnaround times can vary due to the current task load placed on the department.  PERS-462 asks for a standard of 30 days to process once the RIS and BNR have been received at

I am High Year Tenure (HYT). Am I eligible for ADSW?

-Refer to MILPERSMAN 1160-030 and MILPERSMAN 1160-120

I have accumulated a lot of active duty time. Am I still eligible for ADSW?

Members are eligible to perform ADSW until they reach 16 years of total active duty service.  Active duty service includes all active duty, ADSW, Annual Duty for Training (ADT) and Annual Training (AT) combined.  It is the member’s responsibility to ensure his or her retirement point capture is updated and accurate.  Orders will not be issued to members with gaps in their record or questions as to their total active service. 

How long can I perform ADSW?

Per 10 U.S.C. § 115, reserve officers (other than flag officers), who serve on operational support orders for a cumulative period of active duty that exceeds 1,095 days in the previous 1,460 shall count against active end strength.  Therefore, it is PERS-462 policy and practice to limit ADSW orders to no more than 365 days due to fiscal year (FY) appropriation restrictions.  ADSW tours that extend beyond the end of the FY will require the submission of an extension request.

Who arranges my travel to the ECRC?

Per OPNAVINST 1001.20C, the NOSC will assist the reservist with travel arrangements from the reservist’s home to the NOSC and from the NOSC to the ECRC or supported command.  Reservists in receipt of ADSW orders of 30 days or more must process through the ECRC prior to reporting to the supported command.  The ECRC will ensure reservists are screened properly, enrolled in Tricare, properly gained to active duty and the active duty pay account is properly established.

Am I required to report to my NOSC at the beginning/conclusion of my orders?

No, however the NOSC is required to screen each member for ADSW eligibility and to stage gain/loss transactions required to establish pay and benefits. In the cases where the NOSC is for administrative purposes, the member is still required to check in/out with the NOSC via phone or fax. The ADSW orders will indicate if the NOSC is only for administrative purposes.  Reserve members are always under obligation to keep their local Naval Reserve Activity (NRA) informed of their status.  Members should contact their NRA anytime they accept an ADSW position to begin the screening checklist even before the orders are released from PERS-462.  It should never be a surprise to your NRA that you receive orders.


Am I authorized per diem on my ADSW orders?

Per Ch. 7, Part K, Article 7355F1a of the JTR, per diem is authorized on orders for 180 days or less if the member is not local to the ADSW duty station (more than 50 miles). Orders of 180 days or more at any one location are PCS orders. Per Diem is paid by the supported command by providing an accounting line to PERS-462.

Who is responsible for funding travel and per diem?

Travel and per diem (if authorized) are funded by the supported/gaining command.  Accounting data must be provided to PERS-462 for inclusion in the ADSW orders.  Funding will cover the Reservist’s travel from his/her Home of Record (HOR) to the supported command and return to HOR upon completion of the ADSW assignment.  

Do I have to take a break-in-service between ADSW periods?

No.  However, an enlisted Reservist must take a 31 day break in active duty service upon completion of 5 years of continuous active duty.  The 31 day break in active duty service may not include a period of AT, ADT or any other active duty.

Can I do ADSW/AT/ADT in conjunction with one another?

Yes, though it is highly discouraged. AT/ADT orders cannot be used to cover any cost associated with ADSW orders (travel OCONUS etc.). Members will likely experience pay problems transitioning from ADSW to ADT/AT or ADT/AT to ADSW due to the nature of the active and reserve pay account systems. 

I have just demobilized. Can I immediately return to active duty on ADSW?

Yes. It is advisable to start ADSW orders immediately upon demobilization; a break is not necessary (with the exception of 5 years continuous active duty). This will allow the active personnel and pay accounts to remain open.  If a break is desired between periods of active duty, a minimum break of 31 days (no AT or ADT), is strongly recommended before coming back on ADSW. This will allow time for the personnel and pay transaction to process between active and reserve components and should reduce the difficulty of reestablishing the Active Master Military Pay Account upon return to active duty. 

May I transition from ADSW orders directly to mobilization orders?

Yes.  If possible, there should be no break-in-service between orders to minimize pay problems.  Reservists who transition directly from mobilization orders to ADSW or ADSW to mobilization orders are still required to process through the NMPS as the entitlements change and systems must be updated to reflect those changes.

Can a reservist be forward-deployed on ADSW orders in support of contingency operations?

No. Deploying a member into a contingency AOR who is not on contingency mobilization orders prevents the member from receiving all the protections and entitlements those on active duty operational orders receive. In cases where the intent to send the member forward is either not expressed or does not exist at the time the request is made to PERS-462, it is the individual command’s responsibility to ensure that the member’s rights and entitlements are protected. All requests for contingency support should be sent to USFF for mobilization consideration.

To the extent PERS-462 is able to discern intent to forward a member to a hazardous duty area or for contingency support; PERS-462 will not approve the orders. If it is discovered late that members have been forward deployed on ADSW without approval of PERS-462 and Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), Augmentation Branch (N3), the ADSW orders will be modified for immediate return to CONUS.

I am currently on ADSW and have developed a medical condition. If the local military medical authority will not clear me medically, will I be placed on Medical Hold (Med Hold)?

A reservist is not placed on Med Hold until the BUPERS Senior Medial Officer (SMO) at PERS-95 reviews the case and approves the Med Hold status. The local medical command must immediately contact PERS-95 and PERS-462 if an ADSW member experiences a service connected injury and/or illness while attached to their supported command.  The medical command must submit a medical package to PERS-95 for review and determination if Med Hold is warranted. 

If the medical condition and/or Med Hold status is not resolved by the end of the ADSW orders, the member will transition from ADSW orders to COMNAVRESFOR (N31) ADT orders.  Any delay in contacting PERS-95 could result in creating a gap in orders.

PERS-95 is the responsible office for Med Hold policy and process.

While traveling on ADSW orders, am I authorized to use my government travel card (GTCC)?

Reservists who have ADSW orders written for a period of 180 days or more (and are not local to the UDS) receive travel that is authorized as a PCS move.  As such, these members are NOT authorized to use their GTCC for travel.  At the start of such orders, the NOSC (Reserve Center) works with Navy Mobilization Processing Site Norfolk to send the member on government travel (usually SATO) from home to go through NMPS processing and before the movement to the PCS takes place.


Members who have ADSW orders written for a period of 179 days or less, and are not local to the UDS receive Per Diem and are authorized to use their GTCC.


Members who have ADSW orders written for a period of 179 days or less and are local to the UDS receive TDY orders to NMPS and are authorized to use their GTCC during their TDY portion.


What are the rules regarding HHG Shipments POV Shipments with regard to ADSW PCS Orders (180 Days or greater)?  Am I authorized Dislocation Allowance if taking ADSW Orders?  Do I get Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) entitlements if going CONUS on PCS Orders?  Do I get temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) entitlements if going OCONUS on PCS Orders?

           Please consult your local PSD or Personal Property Office if you have questions about pay 
entitlements.  Specific questions concerning PCS entitlements should be addressed to the 
           Household Goods (HHG) helpline, 1-800-444-7789.  Household Goods (HHG) helpline,

Can PERS-462 resolve questions regarding pay, allowances, and entitlement issues?

           PERS-462 does not have the authority to grant entitlements by adding language to 
  Entitlements for moves (PCS/Per-Diem/TDY) are governed by the JTR.

Who is responsible for pay/travel/and allowances for members on ADSW?

* PCS orders for 180 days or greater at the same location (this doesn't count time at ECRC):

PERS-46/OPNAV pays the member's pay and allowances and travel.


* Per Diem orders for less than 180 days at the same location:

For members who are not local to the command, the command must pay per diem.  PERS-46/OPNAV does not pay per diem.  The command must either agree to:


Pull the member into their DTS hierarchy before the member travels so the member can create their own travel in DTS and charge it to the command, or


The command must provide a valid LOA and SDN (Standard Document Number) to PERS-462, before the orders are written, to which travel and per diem will be charged.


How do I coordinate my PCS move?


Where can I find a copy of the current Joint Travel Regulations?

Why does compensation variance exist between RC Sailors performing active duty in the same location? 

“Duty status” reflects a Sailor’s availability to perform a specific mission, function, or job and is linked to appropriated funds and legal authorities.    As a result, RC Sailors serving in the same geographic location and providing similar support may have variances in compensation as a result of their specific duty status. 


Statuses for RC Sailors vary with respect to: legal authority, inactive duty vs. active duty, mission support, funding, voluntary vs. involuntary orders, as well as strength accounting.  This may also include: Annual Training (AT), Active Duty for Training (ADT), and Active Duty for Special Work (ADSW), as well as mobilization, each of which comes with varying degrees of compensation.   


NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000
This is an official U.S. Navy Website
Comments? Suggestions? Call NPC Customer Service: 866-U-ASK-NPC (DSN 882-5672) or Email the Webmaster
Last Modified: 6/24/2016 6:39 AM
FOIA | US Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy | Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map