Department of the Navy Disability Review Board (DRB)
The DRB (formerly known as the Officer Disability Review Board) reviews the decision of the board that originally considered the member’s case and forwards a recommendation for final decision by the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Manpower & Reserve Affairs). Pursuant to 10 USC 1554, former service members who were separated or retired from active duty without pay because of physical disability are eligible to apply to this board. The Secretary has the authority to retroactively grant an applicant either disability severance or retired pay. A request for review under 10 USC 1554 must be made within fifteen years after the date of separation or retirement.
- The Board consists of five naval officers, two of whom are Navy Medical Officers.
- The Board will review an applicant’s naval records in addition to any evidence provided by the applicant. Witnesses may present evidence to the board in person or by affidavit.
- Applicants are entitled to either a documentary review or personnel appearance with counsel provided at their own expense. The applicant may be also be assisted by an accredited representative of an organization recognized by the Veterans Administration under Chapter 59 of Title 38, United States Code.
- Additional information regarding the board’s procedures is contained in Secretary of the Navy Instruction 1850.4E (enclosure (7)). See links provided above.
Submit a letter requesting review to the DRB to:
Secretary of the Navy Council of Review Boards
Disability Review Board, Attention: Counsel
720 Kennon Street, SE, Suite 309
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5023
Requests must include the following information:
- Copy of DD-214
- Current contact information for applicant, counsel or representative.
- Any evidence applicant wishes the board to consider.
- A statement indicating whether a documentary or personal appearance hearing is desired; identification of the error to be corrected, and the desired relief.
Upon receipt of the above information, the applicant will be contacted by a representative of the DRB.