The Assistant Secretary of the Navy executes his Title 10 responsibilities of providing a total naval force capable of supporting the National Military Strategy by:
- Developing integrated military and civilian human resources policies and programs.
- Representing the DoN position to the services, DoD, Congress, and other governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Advocating for DoN policies, programs, and resources to support the total force.
- Advising DoN senior leaders on the implications of policy decisions impacting DoN personnel.
- Evaluating and analyzing the impact of policy and delivery of programs.
- Adjudicating personnel decisions on behalf of the Secretary.