Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Commander, Naval Air Forces > COMPATRECONWING TWO > Welcome Aboard

Welcome Aboard


 Welcome Aboard

Command Insignia


 New Arrivals

Aloha and welcome aboard CPRW-2. The wing and subordinate commands are tenants aboard Marine Corps Base Hawaii (MCBH). MCBH has a number of aliases including Kaneohe Bay, KBAY, or MCAS (usually on older maps or signs). The Marine Corps and Pearl Harbor internet web sites, as well as the links below, have a wealth of information for new arrivals. If you have not yet received a sponsor, please contact the Command Master Chief at 808-257-0509 x8006. If you are married, contact the appropriate housing office to schedule your appointment; it is never too early to get your name on the waiting list. If you are single or a geo-bachelor, you will check in at the Senior NCO/BOQ facility by calling 808-257-2409. “Welcome Aboard!” Congratulations on your orders to CPRW-2.


Note:  Bring all records, orders, endorsements, travel-related receipts, new address, etc.  After hours, please make sure you leave a good contact number (i.e. cell phone/relative/friend), in case we need to reach you prior to the next work day. 

Hotel Reservations

It is advisable to make reservations well in advance. Your sponsor can help you, although you will be required to finalize your reservation with the hotel of your choice. Hotel accommodations are usually plentiful except during the high tourist seasons (December-March and May-August), so make your reservations early. Accommodations must be Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) approved.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)

TLA is an allowance to help offset the cost of living in hotels during your Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move. TLA is based on the per diem rate and paid in ten-day increments. TLA is not paid in advance, but is paid after filing a completed claim with receipts and endorsements. Most TLA approved hotels will allow you to pay your bill after you are reimbursed. It’s still advisable to have at least $1,500 in traveler’s checks to meet immediate off-base living expenses. TLA is authorized for all command-sponsored military personnel arriving on orders pending availability of government housing, or pending completion of permanent living arrangements. TLA commences the date your PCS orders are endorsed as having reported aboard. It is imperative that you have your orders endorsed with the time and date reported as soon as possible after arriving on island. You will not be reimbursed for any days of temporary lodging prior to the report date endorsed on your orders. For an updated list, see the TLA Approved Lodging website.

Advanced application for housing

You can make your initial appointment with the housing office as far as 30 days in advance of your arrival on the island. This initial appointment can be made by you or your sponsor. Upon checking into PSD, the Administration Office will provide you with a copy of your PCS orders showing the time and date you reported, a copy of your detaching endorsement showing when you detached your last command, and a copy of your Page 2. You will need these documents to check in to the Navy Family Housing Office.

Family Housing

Counselors on the Aloha Team at the Navy Family Housing Aloha Center will assist your process through the housing office. As a reminder, you must first check onboard and have your orders stamped to start TLA. Within 72 hours of arriving in Hawaii, bring your orders to the housing office. Failure to do may result in your having to pay for the initial days of your hotel stay. You will also need the detaching endorsement from your last permanent command and a copy of your Page 2. Also, while you are on TLA, declining any housing offer will stop your TLA benefits within 10 days. The office is located in the Navy Aloha Center, 988 Spence Street, Building 2652, Honolulu, HI 96818-3676. Office hours are from 0645 to 1630. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and Wednesdays from 0645 - 1130. MCB Hawaii Housing Office is located in Building 455, at the corner of Lawrence and Pancoast Street. Hours of operation are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 0730-1530 and Wednesday from 0730-1400. For more information regarding the types of housing available, visit the Navy Housing website.


Car Rentals Rentals - the SATO travel office has cooperative agreements with local commercial car rental agencies. Prices range from $28.00 to $58.00. For current information, call your local SATO travel office or call the Pearl Harbor office. Age restrictions may apply.


Taxis - approximately $20.00-$25.00 from the airport to Waikiki during the non-rush hour period. The Cab is the only taxi company authorized to enter the Naval base. Phone Number (808) 422-2222.

Public Transportation

Oahu has an excellent public transportation system, appropriately named “The Bus”, which should serve most of your needs if you do not have a rental vehicle. Fees are $2.00 for adults 17 and older and $1.00 for youths and students (through high school). You can buy a 4-day Oahu Discovery Passport (available at Ala Moana and Waikiki ABC Stores) for $20 Transportation from the airport to any hotel in Waikiki is operated by Airport Express. Cost of a one-way trip: Adults: $9.00 ($15.00 Round Trip). Children: 3 years old & below are free. Please visit Roberts Hawaii for more information.


 Shipping your vehicle Each service member is authorized to ship one privately owned vehicle (POV) at the government's expense. You must have permission from the lien holder to transport the vehicle to Hawaii. If the vehicle is co-registered, you must also show that person’s permission to ship the vehicle. If you are shipping a POV it will require approximately 60 days from the East Coast or 21 days from the West Coast to reach Oahu. All personal vehicles must be safety inspected and registered within 10 days of arriving on-island. Your POV will be shipped to Sand Island, Honolulu. Once your POV has arrived on island, take the Sand Island Access Road from Nimitz Highway. Continue until you cross 2 stop lights. Take the first left turn onto the fenced roadway, which is marked with two signs: ‘Matson Navigations Company’ and ‘Matson Autos.’ Continue on this roadway, following the 'Autos' signs.

Registering your vehicle in Hawaii

All automobiles must be registered with the state within 10 days of arrival. If you are not a legal resident of Hawaii, you may keep your original vehicle license plates, but you must register your car to get a Hawaii vehicle permit sticker. To complete vehicle registration, you are required to have proof of ownership or certificate of registration, shipping documents and Hawaii no-fault insurance coverage (check with your insurance provider for details). Additionally, Hawaii requires an annual safety inspection for vehicles, a valid identification card, and a Non-Resident Certificate Form DFL50 (to be signed by the Commanding Officer verifying your home of record as reflected in your service record). Driver’s licenses issued by your home state are generally valid in Hawaii until they expire. If you wish to apply for a Hawaii driver’s license, you must present your Social Security Card and current out-of-state license. If your out-of state license has expired, you will also be required to file an application form, complete a written examination, pass an eye test, and pass a road test. Your original license will not be returned.

Base Decal

To drive your vehicle on a military installation, you must obtain a military base decal by registering at the pass and identification office of the base to which you are assigned. When registering, you will need your Military ID Card, registration of vehicle with the State of Hawaii or a state tax exemption certificate, valid driver’s license, proof of Hawaii no-fault insurance, and, as appropriate for automobile, motorcycle or motor scooter, Hawaii safety check receipt.