SSC Pacific employs scientists and engineers in a variety of fields.
Computer scientists work in a broad range of fields including software development in C++ or Java, modeling and simulation, speech recognition, human computer interface development, signal processing, computer security / information assurance, algorithms and high level architecture development.
Electrical engineers work in a broad range of fields including radio frequency technology, RF / analog full custom integrated circuit design, communications, simulation and modeling, electro-optical, sensors, networking, digital signal processing, antennas, embedded software, digital ASIC design, circuit board design, radar and sonar.
Candidates at a MS level typically take on more technically advanced roles and / or leadership responsibilities, but can also be involved in research at SSC Pacific.
Candidates at a YD-II (Ph.D.) level typically pursue more research-oriented work. They often function as senior level networkers to bring in large research programs from Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Office of Naval Research, Naval Research Laboratory and others. Qualities include exceptional writing and presentation skills, a vision of the future of technology and the ability to work well with people.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Conduct literature reviews and market surveys of technology and standards
- Conduct laboratory and field experiments in support of ongoing research
- Author and submit technical papers
- Attend and present at technical conferences
- Design portions of analog or digital systems
- Develop technical drawings and specifications
- Perform requirement analysis
- Develop design documents
- Develop standard operating procedures
- Develop proof of concept system prototypes
- Perform systems integration
- Provide system installation support
Test and Evaluation
- Develop test plans and procedures
- Conduct independent testing and participate in integration testing
- Document test results
- Collect, reduce and analyze data and report results
- Provide post-installation technical support
Management and Leadership
- Prepare task and cost estimates for contractor support
- Apply management plans to ensure adequate development, configuration control and tests are performed by the system developer
- Perform technical liaison responsibilities between the government and the contractor
- Develop statements of work
- Monitor and evaluate contractor’s efforts and deliverables