Fort Polk is a United States Army installation located in Vernon Parish, approximately 7 miles east of Leesville, Louisiana and 20 miles north of DeRidder, Louisiana. It was named in honor of the Right Reverend Leonidas Polk, the first Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Louisiana, and a distinguished Confederate general in the American Civil War. The post encompasses approximately 198,000 acres. Of this, 100,000 acres are owned by the Department of the Army and 98,125 acres by the U.S. Forest Service, mostly in the Kisatchie National Forest. Fort Polk is the only Combat Training Center that also trains and deploys combat units.
Fort Polk began as a base for the Louisiana Maneuvers in the 1940s. It served the 1st Armored Division in the 1950s, and became a basic training post during Vietnam War years of the 1960s and '70s. It hosted the 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) in the 1970s-1980s, and the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment in the 1990s. Fort Polk is now home to the Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC), the 4th Brigade, 10th Mountain Division, 115th Combat Support Hospital, 1st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, the 162nd Infantry Brigade, U.S. Army Garrison and Bayne-Jones Army Community Hospital.
ECRC, Detachment Fort Polk Navy LNO Contact Information
Phone: (337) 653-3110
Transportation to Fort Polk
- Ensure your ID card is CAC activated (your pin) and your PKI Certificates are updated. This cannot be stressed enough, it will affect JASS, BOL, NPC, and many official websites your will need to access.
- Ensure you have and remember your MyPay pin number!
- BRING PT GEAR AND RUNNING SHOES. You are required to bring the Navy's new Physical Training Uniform (PTU) gear and running shoes with you IAW NAVADMIN 191/08.
- PT socks should cover the ankle.
- Bring all prescription medications with you.
- Bring no more than two sets of civilian clothes. (For traveling purposes)
- All of your necessary military gear and equipment will be issued. Do not buy extra equipment that you may not need or be authorized to have.
- Although the mailing address is supplied in this Welcome Brief, do not begin to 'mail things; to yourself...the Post Office has limited space and can only retain mail on hand for so long before they have to 'return to sender'.
- For any non-issued items you would like to send home, mail service will be available at your cost.
- You may bring laptops, MP3 players, gaming systems, and electronics of this nature at your own risk. These items ARE NOT allowed on ranges or during any training evolutions. Camera use IS NOT permitted on ranges or during any training evolutions.
- Cell phone use IS NOT permitted at any time during daily training hours. Cell phone coverage is limited, AT&T and T-Mobile have good coverage. Sprint and Verizon are spotty.
- LNO Staff can make available a cell phone in case of an emergency.
Letters and Packages normally take several business days to arrive via USPS.
Shipping Address for regular mail:
(Your Rate/Rank and Full Name)
162D Infantry Brigade (FSF-CA)
Class #____ URF#____ (Your URF# is located on your orders)
2844 G Avenue Bldg 7318C
North Fort Polk, LA 71459
Shipping Address for UPS/FED-EX services:
(Your Rate/Rank and Full Name)
Class #_______ USN
7525A K Avenue
Fort Polk, LA 71459
- MAINTAIN OPSEC when communicating with friends and family back home.
- MWR has a computer room with CAC access computers available.
- MWR has free WI-FI access.
- Berthing will be in Army barracks. LNO will confirm reservation with battalion scheduling prior to your arrival. Once you are given a building and bunk assignment do not change buildings, rooms or bunks.
- Students are responsible for keeping their building and laundry room clean while in training. Trash should be emptied each day and floors are to be swept and mopped regularly.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be at the North Fort Polk Dining Facility (DFAC).
- MREs will be provided when eating at the DFAC would interrupt training.
- Washers and dryers are provided in each battalion foot print and are available for free. You will have to provide your own bleach, laundry soap and dryer sheets.
- MWR offers free WI-FI, cable television, books, pool table, computer room and gaiming rooms. MWR is located in building 7318B and is open Mon-Fri 0800-2200, Sat-Sun 0930-2200, Holiday hours vary.
- Free weights, mechanical weights and cardiovascular equipment is available at the Fitness Center.
Fort Polk General Information: (337) 531-2911
Expeditionary Combat Readiness Center (ECRC) is your Immediate Superior in Command (ISIC) and maintains administrative supervision during your Individual Augmentee Training.