The program develops future public service leaders. This program is open to those who have high potential for leadership or have recently entered leadership positions. This six-month program consists of four one-week intensive residential sessions.
GS 7, 9, 11, or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years of Federal service
- Recently entered leadership positions or have a high potential for leadership
- Wish to develop, enhance, or improve leadership skills
- Potential and motivation to complete all requirements and participate fully in all components of this
- Shadowing assignment (GS 13 – Senior Executive Service - one for 3 days, another for 2 days)
- Complete a 30-day developmental assignment within your agency
- Two book reviews
Developmental Activities: Individual Assessment
- Leadership development plan
- Learning teams/team projects
- 30-day developmental work assignment
- Management readings
- Management interviews
- Shadowing Assignment
Nomination Deadlines: February 22, 2013
July 12, 2013
How to Apply:
The nomination package must be endorsed through the chain-of-command. Upon chain-of-command approval, Command
Training Representatives will forward endorsed nomination packages to the USDA Graduate School.
Detailed Curriculum Information is available at the USDA Graduate School NLP site.
Program applicants are advised that their organization may have different deadline dates and requirements.
It is important to check with the Command Training Representative for information regarding deadline dates and
Send the application package by regular mail, Federal Express, or UPS to the following address:
New Leader Program
Center for Leadership and Management
Graduate School, USDA
600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Suite 330
Washington, DC 20024-2520