*** New Website Look and Content changes coming March 28th ***

Skip navigation links
CHR Home
Training & Development
Executive Management
HR Offices
Programs & Services
Skip navigation links
Retirement Readiness NOW
Employee Deductions
Crediting Civilian Service Not Subject to Retirement Deductions
Crediting Civilian Service For Which You Received a Refund of Retirement Deductions
Crediting Active Military Service
Nonpay Status
Voluntary Retirement
MRA +10 Retirement
Postponed Retirement
Early Voluntary Retirement
Discontinued Service Retirement
Special Retirement for Law Enforcement Officers and Firefighters
Special Retirement for Air Traffic Controllers
Disability Retirement
Deferred Retirement
Separating Employees Who Are Not Eligible For Immediate Annuity
Survivor Benefits
Court Orders
Re-employed Annuitants
Non-appropriated Fund Service
Request an Annuity Computation
Phased Retirement


If you separate from Federal service and are not eligible for an immediate annuity, you have the following options regarding the money you have contributed to FERS:

  1. You can request a refund of your retirement deductions if you have been separated from Federal service for at least 31 days. If you receive a refund of your retirement deductions, you will no longer be eligible to receive a retirement annuity when you reach retirement age, unless you are later reemployed in a retirement covered position.

    If you have completed at least 5 years of creditable civilian service and leave your money in the retirement system, you will be eligible to apply for deferred retirement at age 62. If you apply for deferred retirement, you are not eligible to continue the health benefits or life insurance coverage you had while employed.
  2. If you have completed at least 5 years of creditable civilian service on the date of your separation and, because of injury or illness, you were unable to perform the duties of your position, you could be eligible for disability retirement. If you want to apply for disability retirement, your application must be received by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) within 1 year of your date of separation.
  1. To request a refund of retirement deductions, after you have been separated for at least 31 days, complete an SF 3106, Application for Refund of Retirement Deductions and mail it to OPM at the address listed on the form. Mailing the form earlier will delay the processing of your refund. If you have not received a refund within 1 month of mailing the form, you may check the status of your request by calling OPM at 888-767-6738.
  2. If you want to leave your retirement deductions in the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund and apply for deferred retirement when you reach age 62, no action is required when you separate. You should contact OPM 60 days before you turn age 62 for counseling regarding your deferred retirement application.
  3. If you want to apply for disability retirement, contact the Benefits Line and ask to speak to a retirement specialist. The retirement specialist will assist you with the forms that you must complete. Your application must be received by OPM within 1 year of separation.
Emergency Preparedness
Key Strategic Documents
Website Accessibility/Section 508
Privacy Notice Terms of Use Contact Us
614 Sicard Street SE, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20374-5072
This is an official U.S. Navy website
No FEAR Act Navy IG