*** New Website Look and Content changes coming March 28th ***

Skip navigation links
CHR Home
Training & Development
Executive Management
HR Offices
Programs & Services
Skip navigation links
Retirement Readiness NOW
Employee Deductions
Crediting Civilian Service Not Subject to Retirement Deductions
Crediting Civilian Service For Which You Received a Refund of Retirement Deductions
Crediting Active Military Service
Nonpay Status
Voluntary Retirement
MRA +10 Retirement
Postponed Retirement
Early Voluntary Retirement
Discontinued Service Retirement
Special Retirement for Law Enforcement Officers and Firefighters
Special Retirement for Air Traffic Controllers
Disability Retirement
Deferred Retirement
Separating Employees Who Are Not Eligible For Immediate Annuity
Survivor Benefits
Court Orders
Re-employed Annuitants
Non-appropriated Fund Service
Request an Annuity Computation
Phased Retirement


Early voluntary retirement is designed to help an agency reduce the number of personnel employed or restructure the workforce to meet mission objectives without reducing the overall number of personnel. You may retire under the early voluntary retirement provisions only if your activity has been granted Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA) by the Department of the Navy, you occupy a targeted position, and you are approved to retire under VERA.


  1. You must meet the following eligibility requirements:
    • Age and length of service:
      Age is at Least Creditable Service is at Least
      50 20 years
      Any age 25 years
    • Have 5 years of creditable civilian service.
    • Separate from a position subject to FERS coverage
  2. Read the Information for Prospective FERS Retirees and select your retirement date. Your employing activity may require that you retire by a specific date as a condition of accepting an early retirement.
  3. View the retirement eSeminar.
  4. Request an estimate of your retirement annuity if you have not previously received one. An early voluntary retirement annuity is computed using the FERS general formula.
  5. Complete the SF 3107, Application for Immediate Retirement.
  6. If you are waiving retired military pay to receive credit for military service under FERS, complete the Waiver of Retired Military Pay and send it to the military component 60–90 days before your planned retirement date.

    If you have made a deposit, you should attach the receipt that shows your deposit has been paid in full. The receipt can be a copy of a Leave and Earnings Statement or payroll letter showing that the deposit has been paid.

    If you have not made a deposit for your post-1956 active military service, you still have the opportunity to do so, but it must be paid in full to your payroll office prior to your retirement.

    If you are retired from active military duty, made a deposit for your military service, and have decided that you will not combine your military and civilian service for FERS retirement, you must apply for a refund of your military deposit by completing an SF 3106, Application for Refund of Retirement Deductions.
  7. If you are enrolled in the Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) program and meet the 5-year requirement for continuing coverage after retirement, complete the SF 2818, Continuation of Life Insurance Coverage as an Annuitant or Compensationer. If you are not enrolled in Option A, B, or C, check the "I do not have” block. The FEGLI Calculator helps you determine the current value and cost of your life insurance and how it will change after you retire. The premiums shown on the SF 2818 have not been updated by OPM. Correct premiums are available on the OPM Web site.

    If you do not meet the 5-year requirement to continue your life insurance, your retirement specialist will provide information about converting to a private policy.
  8. If you are enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program, your coverage will automatically continue if you meet the 5-year requirement; no additional action is required. If you do not meet the 5-year requirement, your retirement specialist will provide information about electing Temporary Continuation of Coverage.

    If you want to make a Benefits Open Season election and will retire before the effective date (the first day of the first pay period in January), you cannot make your election using the Employee Benefits Information System. You must complete an SF 2809 , Health Benefits Election between Monday of the second full work week in November and the Monday of the second full work week in December and send it to your retirement specialist.
  9. If you are enrolled in the Federal Dental and Vision Insurance Program, your coverage will automatically continue. It may take a few annuity cycles before dental and/or vision premiums are withheld. After the first successful deduction from your annuity, BENEFEDS will adjust your deduction to catch up for the payments that were missed during the transition. You will receive a letter from BENEFEDS informing you of the amount of the adjusted deduction.
  10. If you are currently enrolled in the Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS), your eligibility automatically terminates when you retire. You should contact an FSAFEDS benefits counselor for information about your account.
  11. If you are enrolled in the Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program, you must contact Long Term Care Partners to notify them that you are retiring so they can coordinate with OPM to set up deductions from your annuity.
  12. If you participate in the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), no action is required if you want to leave your money in TSP. If you want to withdraw your money from TSP, you should wait 30 days from the effective date of your retirement before submitting your request. Additional information is available on the TSP Web site. The TSP can assist you with your questions about your withdrawal options.
  13. If you have a life threatening condition and are applying for an alternative form of annuity, complete RI 38-122, Alternative Annuity and Rollover Election and attach a doctor’s certification of your medical condition. You should read RI 38-123, Alternative Annuity Election Information for Employees and RI 37-22, Special Tax Information for Employees. You may also request an alternative form of annuity and complete the RI 38-122 after OPM provides you with specific annuity information.
  14. Your retirement annuity payments will be directly deposited to the same financial institution that currently receives your salary deposits. If you want to make a change, complete an SF 1199A, Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form and attach it to your retirement application or make the change after you retire using Retirement Services Online.
  15. Federal tax will be withheld from your retirement annuity in the amount currently withheld from your salary. If you want to change the amount of Federal tax withheld, complete a W4-P, Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments and attach it to your retirement application or make the change after you retire using Retirement Services Online. You can calculate how much Federal income tax should be withheld from your retirement annuity by using the Federal Tax Withholding Calculator.

    Part of the retirement annuity you receive is a tax-free recovery of your contributions to FERS; the remainder of your annuity is taxable. You can figure the tax-free portion using the OPM calculator. Information about taxation of your annuity is explained in IRS Publication 721, Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Benefits.
  16. State tax is not automatically withheld from your annuity. OPM has agreements with some States to allow the withholding of State income tax, but you must specify the dollar amount ($5 or more) you want withheld. After your retirement has been finalized, you can use Retirement Services Online to start, change, or stop the State tax withholdings. If your State does not participate, you should contact your State tax office for information or assistance.
  17. You should review your designation of beneficiary for FEGLI, FERS, and TSP and update if necessary.
  18. Ensure all retirement application forms are signed and dated.
  19. Make a copy of all forms for your records.
  20. If you are approved for early retirement your activity will create an electronic Request for Personnel Action (SF 52) in the Defense Civilian Personnel Data System. You will sign a paper copy of the request and attach it to your retirement application.
  21. Mail the original retirement application to the Civilian Benefits Center. Since original signatures are required, faxed or e-mailed forms are not accepted.
Emergency Preparedness
Key Strategic Documents
Website Accessibility/Section 508
Privacy Notice Terms of Use Contact Us
614 Sicard Street SE, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20374-5072
This is an official U.S. Navy website
No FEAR Act Navy IG