*** New Website Look and Content changes coming March 28th ***

Skip navigation links
CHR Home
Training & Development
Executive Management
HR Offices
Programs & Services
Skip navigation links
Contact Information
New Employees
Insurance Programs
Thrift Savings Plan
Designation of Beneficiary
Report Employee Death
Resource Library
Work Schedule & Leave
Workers' Compensation
Training & Development
Executive Management
HR Offices
Programs & Services


Department of Defense (DoD) civilian retirees (except non-appropriated fund and INTEL employees) are eligible for a retiree identification card. Since many retired DoD civilians have no way of identifying their association with DoD, this card provides them with a trusted credential to establish their identity and affiliation. This card does not guarantee civilian retirees access to DoD bases or facilities within the United States nor its territories or possessions. The installation commander retains the authority to restrict access to MWR facilities for reasons such as local demand, facility capacity, and security concerns.

You can apply for a DoD civilian retiree identification card at your nearest RAPIDS site office once you have been retired 60 days. You must bring two forms of identification from the OMB I-9 document list. One must be a Federal- or State-issued photo ID. You must also bring proof of your pay grade at retirement. A copy of your SF 50, Notification of Personnel Action that documents your retirement, will satisfy this requirement.

If you do not have a copy of your SF 50 documenting your retirement, you may request one from the National Personnel Records Center. Your request must be in writing, signed, and include:

  • Full name used during Federal employment
  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Name(s) of Federal employing agency(s)
  • Approximate dates of Federal employment

Mail your request to:

National Personnel Records Center
Civilian Personnel Records
111 Winnebago Street
St. Louis, MO 63118

If the RAPIDS site office indicates that you are not in DEERS, you should provide the following information to the DoD Field Advisory Service (FAS) by fax (703-696-4705) or e-mail (benefits@cpms.osd.mil):

  • First name, last name, middle initial
  • Date of inquiry
  • Civil Service Annuity number (CSA #)
  • Contact number
  • E-mail address
  • Social Security number
  • Date of retirement
  • Agency
  • RAPIDS site and telephone number
  • Reason why you were unable to obtain a DoD civilian retiree ID
  • Copy of SF 50, Notification of Personnel Action that documents your retirement

FAS will request that you be added to DEERS. Resolution may take several months. FAS will notify you when you have been added to DEERS.

Additional information about civilian retiree ID cards is available from the Defense Manpower Data Center.

Emergency Preparedness
Key Strategic Documents
Website Accessibility/Section 508
Privacy Notice Terms of Use Contact Us
614 Sicard Street SE, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20374-5072
This is an official U.S. Navy website
No FEAR Act Navy IG