Secretary of the Navy's
Navy & Marine Corps
Welcome to the Secretary of the Navy's Retiree Council Website!
Per SECNAV Instruction 5420.169J the Secretary of the Navy Retiree Council (SECNAV's RC) is one of the four elements of the Department of the Navy Retired Activities Program. It was established to consider issues of significant importance to retired military personnel and their family members, to facilitate interaction between Department of Navy leadership and the Navy and Marine Corps retired community, and to facilitate participation in other aspects of the Retired Activities Program.
The SECNAV’s RC has the authority to review the effectiveness of current programs and policies affecting retirees. The SECNAV’s RC is also authorized to make recommendations concerning improvements to privileges, benefits, assistance to retirees, quality of life, and any other matters relating to retired personnel to the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Military Personnel Policy (DASN/MPP).
All SECNAV’s RC members are issued Active Duty for Special Work Orders (ADSW) and DTS travel orders to attend annual meetings in Washington, DC. Council members are assigned to committees (compensation, medical, and outreach/resources) and are required to participate in quarterly teleconferences prior to each annual meeting. At the conclusion of the annual meeting a SECNAV's RC Report is submitted to the DASN with recommendations to the Secretary of the Navy.
For Council membership consideration or questions for the Navy contact the Navy Retired Activities Program Manager at (901) 874-6723. or send applications to: MILL_RetiredActivities@navy.mil
The following information should be included in a 1 to 2 page Word document:
1) Full Name/City and State Information/Email/Phone Number
2) Retired Rank and Rate
3) Head Shot Picture (cell phone picture is ok)
4) Active Duty Summary (especially duties involving the retired community)
5) Current work responsibilities
6) Active involvement in voluntary services in the community/retired community
7) Subject matter expertise (compensation, medical, outreach/resources)
8) Statement about willingness to travel
9) Willingness to support local Retired Activities Office (RAO) efforts