Amplifying Information on NAVADMIN 082/05
1. As we continue to prosecute the Global War On Terrorism (GWOT), demand for Individual Manpower Augmentation - both Active and Reserve - has increased dramatically. These Contingency Augmentation requirements represent unfunded, unplanned, but necessary diversion of our limited Manpower and funding resources originally programmed for other purposes. As Navy commands are being tasked by multiple sources to provide Individual Contingency Manpower support, the true extent of Navy's Augmentation tasking is likely much greater than reported. To better manage our Contingency Augmentation efforts, prevent redundant tasking, and be able to clearly assess the manning impact to our commands, we need to gain total visibility of all support being requested and of assets being provided in support of GWOT. The intent of NAVADMIN 082/05 is to require Navy Echelon II Commanders to capture existing GWOT Manpower Augmentation support and require Navy Component Commanders to identify all future Contingency Augmentation requirements to Navy leadership within one system: the Navy-Marine Corps Mobilization Processing System (NMCMPS).
2. As of September 2004, Active Duty Augmentation requirements have been incorporated into the Requirements Tracking Module (RTM) and the personnel assigned to these requirements on TAD orders are now being entered in the Sourcing Module. Our future vision is to process, prioritize, and approve for sourcing all Contingency Augmentation requirements by the OPNAV Augmentation cell, then execute all sourcing actions via COMNAVPERSCOM Augmentation division (PERS-4G) and COMNAVRESFORCOM Augmentation Cell. As groundwork toward facilitating the transition to this centralized process, we must first capture all Contingency Augmentation requirements currently being supported.
3. Procedures: much of the Individual Manpower Augmentation our commands currently provide in support of GWOT has been requested and sourced external to Navy's Individual Augmentation process(OPNAVINST 1001.24). This includes Individual Manpower being provided by subordinate and supporting Navy Component Commanders directly to supported COCOMS, other Navy commands, other military services, and to various Govt agencies. Navy Echelon II Commanders are required to take the following actions to capture this support within NMCMPS:
a. Verify identified Contingency Support Manpower Requirements are not already contained within the RTM, then enter any additional requirements.
1. For Contingency Augmentation support provided wholly within the Echelon II claimancy, "internal sourcing" will be indicated and no additional processing is required.
2. For Augmentation support provided to commands outside their claimancy, the requirement must be entered "on behalf of the supported command" with appropriate by-name-request information entered for the member currently reassigned to the position. These requirements will be auto-routed via the supported activity's chain of command to the OPNAV Augmentation Cell for sourcing approval.
b. Have subordinate commands identify existing GWOT Manpower support they are providing with their active duty personnel being temporarily reassigned on orders of duration greater than 29 days.
c. Identify reservists activated on training orders and ADSW orders who are either directly supporting GWOT operations at the ultimate duty station or are temporarily reassigned in support of GWOT away from their originally specified ultimate duty station on tad orders greater than 29 days.
4. Future requirements: all requests for Contingency Augmentation must be entered into the RTM. Requests which are not internally sourced must be submitted via the requester's chain of command and contain flag-level endorsement. In NMCMPS, these requirements will be auto-routed to the OPNAV Augmentation cell for sourcing approval iaw established OPNAV N3/N5 guidelines. Specific instructions for utilizing the RTM, step-by-step procedures for gaining access to the system, help-desk support and self-training guides are also located at this classified site.
5. Personnel visibility: to further achieve visibility of mobilized Reservist readiness, processing and deployment status, the NIPRNET-based Member Processing Module (PM) of NMCMPS must be fully utilized. Effective immediately all Commands and Activities involved with processing activated Reservists, including Navy Reserve Activities, Navy Mobilization Processing Sites (NMPS) and Associated Field Activities, and Ultimate Duty Stations/Commands are required to use the PM. Timely recording of processing step completions and the reporting of their pre-deployment and deployment status will ensure more accurate tracking of these individuals.
For additional information on Individual Augmentation, see NAVADMIN 273/06 or the Pers-4G Web Page.