Upon Receipt of PCS Orders to an Overseas Location…
The following steps are mandatory, unless marked otherwise, for the unit/person listed:
A. Gaining Command
- Determine if member requires no-fee passport upon arrival and comply with MILPERSMAN Article 4650-020.
- Ensure command website and Welcome Aboard package are up to date and provide to member.
B. Detaching/Transferring Command
- Follow procedures in MILPERSMAN Articles 1300-300 through 1300-306 and 1300-316 for overseas screening and dependent entry approval. Advise member not to ship household goods and privately owned vehicles until successfully screened.
- Ensure member has a completed and documented HIV test within 24 months of detachment.
- Ensure member completes and/or meets the requirements listed in the PCS orders within the timeline given. If a timeline is not given then the step must be completed before the CMC/COB/SEA (for enlisted) and CO (all) sign NAVPERS 1300/16, REPORT OF SUITABILITY FOR OVERSEAS ASSIGNMENT.
- Ensure member completes the PCS Travel Information Form (NAVPERS 7041/1) within three days of transfer.
- Enlisted only, ensure member has sufficient OBLISERV.
- If required, ensure security clearance/background investigation is current, if not then initiate/submit request.
- Ensure member and adult family member(s) receive general and/or AOR-specific (as applicable) individual anti-terrorism (AT) awareness training from a certified AT training officer within six months of travel.
- Determine if member and/or dependents will require a no-fee passport and advise them to apply ASAP as passports can take up to six months to process. Information regarding passport requirements by country can be found at https://www.fcg.pentagon.mil/fcg.cfm.
- Ensure member has completed cultural awareness training, http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/distribution/Documents/LREC Information.pdf.
- Apply for security clearance (if applicable) within 15 days of receipt of orders.
- Commence overseas screening for self and dependents within 15 days of receipt of orders. Ensure command reports status on BUPERS On-line (BOL) within 30 days of receipt of orders.
- Apply for no-fee passports for self (if applicable) and dependents within 15 days of receipt of orders. See MILPERSMAN Article 4650-020 for further guidance. Passports can take up to four months to process with VISAs requiring an additional three months. NOTE: Non-U.S. dependents will have to coordinate with their own national Embassy/Consulate to obtain the necessary Passport/VISA.
- Upon receipt of PCS Orders, contact your Personal Property Transportation and Household Goods Office. Privately owned vehicle shipment restrictions may exist for departure to, and/or CONUS re-entry from, the overseas duty location.
- Enlisted only: Obtain sufficient OBLISERV to complete the DoD area tour length, see the JFTR, Appendix Q, for tour lengths.
- Complete anti-terrorism training, per MILPERSMAN Article 1300-300.
- Language, Regional Expertise, and Culture (LREC) support to individuals and units, and to Navy members on overseas assignments have access to self-paced cultural awareness products and language learning materials relevant to the deployment destination or assignment location. For additional information go to http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/distribution/Documents/LREC Information.pdf
- Once the overseas screening is complete then request dependent entry approval per MILPERSMAN Article 1300-316 and http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/distribution/Pages/DependentEntry.aspx.
- Contact nearest military treatment facility or TRICARE service center prior to transfer for counseling on urgent or emergency medical care during PCS move.
- If dependent has a chronic condition then enroll dependent in the Exceptional Family Member Program. The local military medical treatment facility or health-care screener should be able to assist in completing the application process.
- Ensure command updates status on BOL.
- Complete the PCS Travel Information Form (NAVPERS 7041/1) within three days of transfer.
- Take all forms to PSD to receive travel documents.
1. Ensure NAVPERS 1300/16 has been signed by the representative of the medical treatment facility, CMC/COB/SEA (enlisted only), and the CO. Do not rely on a printout from BOL, per NAVADMIN 085/07 and Pay and Personnel Information Bulletin (PPIB) 09-30.
II. Important Information and Websites
- General TRICARE information can be found at http://www.tricare.osd.mil.
- Exceptional Family Member Program information can be found at http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/efm/Pages/default.aspx.
- General on and off base housing information can be found at https://www.housing.navy.mil.
- Navy Lodge information can be found at http://www.navy-lodge.com. Central Reservation: 1-800-NAVY-INN/1-800-628-9466.
- Government lodging information can be found at http://www.dodlodging.net. Central Reservation: 1-877-NAVY-BED/1-877-628-9233.
- Childcare information and registration for new duty station can be found at http://www.cnic.navy.mil/CNIC_HQ_Site/WhatWeDo/FleetandFamilyReadiness/FamilyReadiness/ChildAndYouthPrograms/index.htm.
- You can process your household good (HHG) shipment application, and receive counseling, on line at your convenience at https://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil or http://www.move.mil. Transportation specialists available to answer questions and provide guidance Monday through Friday 0800-1700 Eastern time at 1-800-444-7789 or by email at NVTRNSHHGHELPLINE@navy.mil.
- To set up essential utilities and services for your new home anywhere in CONUS and Hawaii use the free on –line NEX moving center at http://www.navy-nex.com or https://www.mynavyexchange.com.
- Information regarding your next duty station - contact the nearest DoD Family Service Center or Relocation Assistance Office at 1-800-372-5463.
- The Navy and Marine Corps Lifelines Services Network (LSN) provides useful information when PCS’ing and can be found at http://lifelines.navy.mil.
- For command mailing address - consult the Standard Naval Distribution List (SNDL) at http://doni.documentservices.dla.mil/sndl.aspx.
- Instructions to create a self service Electronic Service Record account are located on at https://nsips.nmci.navy.mil.
- Many airlines are charging baggage fees. Information on baggage fees can be found at http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/103882.
- All parents who are looking to register their dependents for potential enrollment in a DoDEA school are encouraged to preregister using the Online Student Pre-Registration System. This system is available for use at: https://registration.dodea.edu.