|Traumatic Injury Protection under SGLI (TSGLI) provides additional insurance protection in addition to coverage provided under Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI) to severely injured service members (on or off duty) as a result of a traumatic event. TSGLI was designed to provide severely injured service members a monetary benefit to help the member and their family through a potentially long treatment and recovery period. TSGLI provides a tax-free lump-sum payment ranging from $25,000, up to a maximum of $100,000, depending on the service member’s qualifying loss.|
Servicemembers are eligible if they:
Are covered under SGLI in any amount
Experience a traumatic injury that results in qualifying loss
Suffer the scheduled loss within 730 days or 2 years from the date of the traumatic event
Survive seven days from a traumatic event
TSGLI is payable for all qualifying injuries incurred during the period 7 October 2001 to 30 November 2005, regardless of the geographic location where it occurred, and regardless of if the service member had SGLI coverage at that time.
Public Law 111-275 removed the requirement that injuries during this period must have occurred in OEF or OIF.
Effective 1 December 2005, all service members who are covered under SGLI are eligible for TSGLI coverage, regardless of where their qualifying traumatic injury occurred.
Financial counseling/planning services are available to TSGLI beneficiaries at no cost. Once a claim is approved, services must be requested within two years from date of TSGLI payment. The service is available for up to two years once initiated. Sailors can use any or all of the services offered. Sailors and their families are encouraged to take advantage of this free professional financial counseling service.
| TSGLI Qualifiying Conditions
- Loss of sight, hearing, or speech
- Amputation(s) and Limb Salvage
- Paralysis (paraplegia, quadriplegia, hemiplegia, uniplegia
- Genitourinary injuries - retroactive to 7 October 2001
- Facial Reconstruction
- 15-day Hospitalization
- Loss of Activities of Daily Living due to a Traumatic Brain Injury or other injuries
|| TSGLI EXCLUDED Conditions
- Due to a mental disorder or mental or physical illness or disease
- Due to routine medical or surgical treatment for an illness or disease, medical or surgical treatment for an illness or disease, medical errors or complications
- Injuries sustained while committing or attempting to commit a felony
- Injuries sustained during attempted suicide
- Injuries that were intentionally self-inflicted
- Injuries sustained while using illegal or a controlled substance not prescribed by a medical professional
FOR MORE INFORMATION
To obtain assistance or additional information about the TSGLI program contact the Navy’s TSGLI office at 866-U-ASK-NPC.
TSGLI Procedures Guide and application form is at:
SECNAVINST 1770.4, Secretary of the Navy’s Traumatic Injury Protection under Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (TSGLI) Implementation Guidance and Appeals Process - http://doni.daps.dla.mil/allinstructions.aspx
OPNAVINST 1770.3, Traumatic Injury Protection Under Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance – http://doni.daps.dla.mil/allinstructions.aspx
COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive,
Millington TN 38055-0000
Comments? Suggestions? Call
Email the Webmaster | Updated:6/27/2013 3:06 PM
US Navy |
No Fear Act |
Accessibility / Section 508